OpenEdge Database - Products Enhancements - Progress Community

OpenEdge Database

• Start the web server for OpenEdge Management/Explorer earlier when the AdminServer...

In the 'old' days when we still had the Progress Explorer Tool on Windows, you could start the PET and connect to the AdminService almost immediately after the service was started. This allowed you to very quickly see which resources are configured...
  • Separate Index Selection for WHERE and for BY

The current implementation of Index Selection Rules practically excludes the BY phrase to be taken into consideration when selecting index(es). At least when developers make sure that it is the WHERE phrase that gets the attention as it limits the number...
  • OE Explorer - UI Refresh

• Under Review
    • 3 Comments
    The current OE Explorer UI is clunky and harder to use than it needs to be given current UI functionality out there, and it needs to be updated so it's easier to use.
  • Support for Failover Cluster Manager on Linux platform

OE RDBMS is supported and certified on many platforms also incredible linux platforms. But support for failover cluster is narrowed to enterprise class platforms (IBM & HP) and Windows Server (only 64-bit platform). It would be wonderful to get...
  • Add LDAP into the core OpenEdge product

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    There has been talk on this subject and as I understand it was close to being added to OpenEdge at one point but since was taken off the table. Why? MIS / I.T. managers demand that applications that are installed in their domain support LDAP/AD so as...
  • Virtualisation best practices

I'm missing documentation, whitepapers and best practices around virtualisation. Like it or not but big parts of large systems are running in virtual environments and VMWare, OpenStack, NetApp, 3PAR, SAN-solutions etc is very common in everything...
  • Real database backup file compression

• Under Review
    • 1 Comments
    We now are using 3th party software to compress the database backup file. First we have to wait until the backup is completed. The backup file is already using disk space. After completion we start the compression. Which also takes time and disk space...
  • Support for RIGHT OUTER-JOIN

Hi, RIGHT OUTER-JOIN is currently not a part of the ABL syntax. The knowledge base states: "In the 4GL, you can also implement a RIGHT-OUTER-JOIN by using a LEFT-OUTER-JOIN with the tables in reverse order..." This will however result...
  • Need datatype for efficient usage of GUID unique ID

Hi, currently we are using a CHARACTER - GUID ("eb149dfe-c01f-50ac-3a14-66c56c902384") in many tables for unique ID. Analyses of database storage shows that this is highly inefficient on storage and most likely on performance as well. ...
  • Copy DB and schema

No idea if this is something that others would want, but currently I need to copy a database and its schema and it would be a lot easier if I could do this with a simple procopy style command.