OpenEdge Database - Products Enhancements - Progress Community

OpenEdge Database

• Make VST date+time fields DATETIME instead of CHARACTER

The subject explains it all: VST tables are filled with dates and times, for instance _Connect._Connect-Time these fields are always (except possibly _KeyEvt._KeyEvt-Date) character fields. Make them datetime(-tz) instead, or add corresponding datetime...
  • Have an option on backup to generate a dbanalys file

• Not Planned
    • 2 Comments
    This has been on the list for years, but I will give you a specific use case so you can understand that not having this incurs additional downtime. Dump and load processing looks like this: Shutdown Backup - 30 minutes Dbanalys - 30 minutes...
  • Please document *ALL* utility parameters

This is perhaps more of a bug (or collection of bugs) than a request for an "enhancement". Please compare the parameters implemented in the code to the parameters listed in the documentation. There are a lot of parameters that are not documented...
  • Make Progress OpenEdge multi-threaded

• Under Review
    • 1 Comments
    As we all know, Progress is single-threaded. You can only do one thing at a time. If a user wants to multi-task, they have to open up another application session which A) May have licensing implications and B) Is kludge in the eyes of the end-user. A...
  • Add LOB stats to proutil dbanalys/tabanalys

You've heard this one many times before, but it isn't in this list so I'm adding it. Also, given that we already have options for analyzing tables and indexes, maybe it makes sense to add a proutil lobanalys qualifier as well?
  • Add index on _UserTableStat and _IndexTableStat

If I want to find out Index and Table usage stats for a particular user I use the code below. It works fine but it's ridiculously slow, as is the one on _IndexTableStat that's similar. Please could an index for _UserTableStat-Conn and _UserIndexStat...
  • Implement control on database logging (.lg) verbosity and type of events to include...

• Under Review
    • 2 Comments
    Implement setting on the database side to control the verbosity of the logging and to be able to exclude some types of log events. In our case the database .lg file gets flooded with: P-2359410 T-1 I ABL 7: (7129) Usr 7 set name to batch@xxxx.com. P...
  • OE DB GUI Tool

• Under Review
    • 2 Comments
    For some reason it seems the cmd line scares IT guys nowadays and were always being asked by our customers IT guys if Progress have a gui tool for dealing with the db (backups restores, general maintenance) similar to SQL Management Studio. Mostly this...
  • Get DLC version info from a backup file

It can be difficult to determine which Progress version created a backup file. The request is for syntax like prorest <db> <backup> -version, or alternatively, just add the DLC version info to prorest -list output. Thanks to Stefan Drissen...
  • Make trigger r-code reside in the database

• Under Review
    • 3 Comments
    Replication and Schema triggers r-code should be stored in the database. The CRUD operations cannot work without them. Currently if your PROPATH is not setup properly if an operation causes a trigger to fire, the code will not be found. If the r-code...