OpenEdge Database - Products Enhancements - Progress Community

OpenEdge Database

• Forget about Workgroup Database Licenses

To name but a few, I believe that the following limitations in Workgroup Database Licenses are really out-of-date. 1. The 2GB file-size limit. Even modest DB areas can quickly grow up above 2GB. 2. The semaphore technique. Nowadays, server (and VM)...
  • Release notes: Make issue list Excel friendly

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    It is easy to read the issue list (html format) provided with a service pack into Excel. If there would be only 1 row per issue we could use autofilter, sort etc. Because of it current format with rowspans and colspans this is not really useable.
  • FIND FIRST vs. FOR FIRST Performance

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    Could Progress add a toggle to the client startup to make a FIND FIRST perform as well as a FOR FIRST statement. the best practices on the SQL Dataserver group suggest rewriting FIND FIRST Statements to be FOR FIRST statements to take advantage of...
  • Add area parameters to dbanalys output

It would be helpful to have the values for area records per block and blocks per cluster added to the output of dbanalys/tabanalys (e.g. in the area summaries prior to RECORD BLOCK SUMMARY). This would aid programmatic assessment of database structure...
  • Provide better OS info in DB log at startup

This is a sample of the (4234) message in 10.2B08 on Linux: Progress OpenEdge Release 10.2B build 1699 SP07 on Linux sitdev2 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jun 13 18:24:36 EDT 2012 x86_64. and this is a sample from 10.2B08 on Window Server 2008...
  • New 11.3 OE Management Remote Authentication ERRONEOUSLY Requires Access to /etc...

PROBLEM: When adding a remote container in OE Management 11.3, you must provide the username and password of the user that started the AdminServer on the remote host. BUT...if it is NOT root, the password cannot be authentication against the /etc/shadow...
  • VST fields for OERepl total & free pica buffer entries

I'm sure this has been requested in the past but I don't see an existing idea for it. Today, the counts for free and used pica buffer entries is available in promon R&D 1 16 but not in the VSTs. So the only monitoring option is to screen...
  • More intuitive command lines for DB admin

This is something that really bugs me every time I'm configuring things. At the moment that's a lot because I'm setting up a new server for migration, and I had to set up a test migration server too. A lot of the commands I run are counter...
  • Make table partitioning work with multi tenancy

As our databases are multi-tenant, we can't make use of the table partitioning features. So I think it would make sense if table partitioning can be applied to multi-tenant tables.
  • Auto-create of startup scripts

I've been having to do some maintenance on our DB startup parameters recently and realised again why I dislike OE Explorer. It made me think it would be useful to have a button to allow you to auto-generate a startup script based on the settings in...