OpenEdge Database - Products Enhancements - Progress Community

OpenEdge Database

• Add server-side joins / better networking performance

I have been monitoring the network traffic between a client and the server. I noticed that even a simple query generates a lot of traffic. An example against the sports2000 database (using OpenEdge 11.2, Windows platform, -Mm 8192): FOR EACH customer...
  • Online index activate in a 24/7 environment

• Complete
    • 0 Comments
    We know it is possible to add new objects to a progress db online. E.g one can add an index inactive online. It is also possible to activate an index online using proutil -C idxactivate. The OE manual tells us: " If IDXACTIVATE detects clients...
  • Make the Progress OpenEdge database a relational database

I don't think much explanation is needed here. Please add relations to the database. You can't expect end users to deal with this themselves with the help of triggers. If you introduce relations, those who want can still leave out the relations...
  • Create a Database browser similar to SQLServer Management Studio

There's datadigger indeed, but shouldn't Progress come with such a program? I've worked for 6 years with SQLServer Management Studio and I think such a thing should be included in every serious database software packet. The Data Dictionary...
  • Areas dedicated only for tables or indexes

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    We have tables and indexes separated in different areas. But unfortunately it is possible to accidentally add a table to an index area or an index to a table area. It would be nice if there is for example an area property that tells OpenEdge that only...
  • Permit cross-platform database restore

Restore of an OpenEdge database backup is currently only possible on the same platform (OS and hardware architecture) on which the backup was taken, e.g. from Windows to Windows, Linux x64 to Linux x64, Linux PPC to Linux PPC, etc. Enhancement request...
  • XREF output to include the type of lock the query will use and identify partial index...

• Under Review
    • 3 Comments
    XREF output to include the type of lock the query will use and identify partial index usage Currently the XREF output is extremely useful to determine index usage for queries and determine any potential full table scan. Suggested Enhancement: Add...
  • Make large file support available without ENTERPRISE.

In this day and age with databases frequently being very large (compared to 10 years ago) it seems counter-intuitive to require Enterprise RDBMS in order to serve up Large File enable databases. I want to serve up a copy of our production database against...
  • Add support for multiple collations in one database

In a multi-lingual application, you can only have one database collation which determines the sorting of indexes. Since there are different sorting rules for different languages, it should be possible to use several collations. Allow loading several...
  • OpenEdge should support Cancel request for long running SQL queries through JDBC...

A normal user runs a SQL query with a tool like Squirrel and noticed that a function needs longer than expected. (a bad written function can result in a full table scan!) Pressing "Cancel" has no effect because OpenEdge still doesn't not...