OpenEdge Development - Products Enhancements - Progress Community

OpenEdge Development

• CAN-FIND support for Dynamic buffers

Title says it all. Currently you can do a dynamic FIND-FIRST, FIND-UNIQUE, etc. but a CAN-FIND isn't available on dynamic buffers. Since the cost of a CAN-FIND is lower than that of an actual FIND, it would be usefull to have this on dynamic buffers...
  • Speed up compilation of ABL code, or support multi-threaded compilation

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    Waiting minutes for ABL projects to compile & seeing only 12.5% CPU usage is frustrating. Either Improving single-threaded compilation speed to such an extent that we're not waiting or enabling multi-threaded compiles would be a great improvement...
  • PDSOE - option to compile only files that have compile errors

• Under Review
    • 1 Comments
    In PDSOE, I’d like to have a way to just recompile files that have compile errors. Say our project has 1000 files and 20 of these have compile errors. I want to just be able to compile just those files. For example, if I have 20 errors showing...
  • Provide a supported profiling data viewer application

There are various vintages of Progress profiler viewers, all of which are officially unsupported. But the ABL profiler system handle is supported. What is the value of being able to generate profiling data is there isn't a supported way to visualize...
  • Add keyword/api to disconnect/kick users from the database

• Under Review
    • 1 Comments
    It would be useful to have a keyword (or some kind of API) to disconnect/kick users from the database.
  • TABLE-SCAN for Open Query or Dynamic Query

The Table Scan option is fabulous. The only issue being I can't use it in Open Query or dynamic queries. Please could this be added.
  • Debugger: allow it to stop on the statement that is throwing a run time error

When a run-time error occurs the debugger can be launched when session:debug-alert is true or the session is started with -debugalert. When using traditional error handling, the debugger is positioned at the next statement, which generally means at...
  • Enhance ROWID find to get latest record from database

When -rereadnolock is on, a no-lock record find usually rereads the record from the database. When you use a ROWID to find the record though, this doesn't happen. It is well documented in the KB etc, but it is problematic. Using a ROWID to find...
  • Remove the restriction on defining variables a common .Net data types

• Under Review
    • 1 Comments
    Currently, Progress will not allow me to define a variable as System.DateTime, System.Double, System.String etc. There are times when it would be very useful to do so and there doesn't seem to be any reason to prevent it. I would like to see Progress...
  • Automatic FIELDS list

One of the biggest cause of performance problems when using the DataServer technology can be the absence of the FIELDS lists in the code, thus forcing the DataServer to return the whole row from the foreign database. It would be convenient if ABL was...