OpenEdge Development - Products Enhancements - Progress Community

OpenEdge Development

• Better R-code Deployment

• Under Review
    • 2 Comments
    When deploying new r-code to an application, currently the application needs to be shutdown. If the r-code is replaced, the r-code in memory is the r-code chosen. Running without -q could be a solution for this, but it has a performance cost. Ideally...
  • Add the option to read a database buffer into a JsonObject

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    At the moment the read() method of a JsonObject supports a ProDataSet, Temp-table or Buffer handle but the buffer handle should be a buffer to a temp-table. I would like to be able to use a database buffer as well so I can fill a JsonObject straight away...
  • Bring back color coding in the (64 bit) procedure editor

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    With the upgrade to 64 Bit (Yea!), the procedure editor lost the ability to do color coding and automatic casing (http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000042690). Business Case: A surprising number of programmers prefer light weight editors...
  • Support remote method invocation of ABL AppServer (both classic and PASOE) object...

Remote Method invocation: Support calling object methods on an appserver by a client. (similar to: run internal procedure of persistent procedure in Appserver-Handle).
  • AI Management Daemon improvements

If I could change three things about the ai management daemon they would be: 1) Fix the file naming. Allow a user specified mask in the style of the "date" command so that I can decide which elements of the name I want to have. i.e. %s = seq#...
  • Dynamically Load .Net DLL

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    Currently the -assembiles flag tells the Progress appserver where to look for assembiles.xml and the .dll. It would be nice to have a way to programmatically choose the location to load the dll from rather then having to define it before the Apppserver...
  • Remove DATASET-HANDLE and TABLE-HANDLE parameters

The language/AVM should be intelligent enough to pass dataset/temp-table structure and data when passed between AppServer and client and no special datatype should exist for that. As long as you're in a single session, DATASET/TABLE-HANDLE parameters...
  • Allow FILL() while TRACKING-CHANGES is true

Same idea as for EMPTY-DATASET() / EMPTY-TEMP-TABLE(), but for the FILL() method. You should be able to FILL() a dataset and revert (REJECT-CHANGES()) or accept (ACCEPT-CHANGES()) that action. See also https://community.progress.com/community_groups...
  • authentication callbacks should be protected by CRC to prevent masquerading of the...

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    The authentication system callback is a really cool idea. However, there needs to be a mechanism to guarantee that the callback procedure called is really the one that was intended. On windows, it may be possible to use an absolute UNC path to guarantee...
  • Support .zip files as an alternative to .pl files.

Procedure Libraries are nice to use, but cumbersome to work create and maintain while they supply no compression. Using zip files as an alternative on the propath will enable the use of an endless number of freely available tools to maintain the library...