OpenEdge Development - Products Enhancements - Progress Community

OpenEdge Development

• Add support for multithreading in OpenEdge

• Under Review
    • 8 Comments
    As said in the title Openedge should support multithreading It would be useful in many many cases. I know that with the Appserver you can avoid many cases where threading would be useful, but not everybody is using the appserver and even the appserver...
  • Compiler should prevent methods/functions without RETURN statement

The compiler should prohibit (or at least warn about) non void methods/functions that have no RETURN statement on every possible execution path. In Java, such code doesn't even compile. In ABL, when you forget a RETURN x. statement, you don't...
  • Unused Code

Provide optional compiler warnings for variables and properties which are not referenced in the compile unit.
  • Complete OO functionality in ABL

Currently there are quite some OO features missing in ABL that are common in other OO languages like Java or C#: An extended list of wanted features is available at http://www.oehive.org/oowishlist, but I would like to repeat some here which I think...
  • Check for unreferenced variables

Wouldn't it be nice to finish writing a class or procedure and have a simple button that would tell you if any of the variables were unused?
  • Support for multiple assemblies directories

Say you have the following situation: Project A: Is generic framework code Has its own assemblies.xml and assemblies directory Project B: Is an application using the generic framework code from Project A (PROPATH includes Project A) ...
  • Allow configuration of Auto-Indentation settings in PDSOE

• Under Review
    • 1 Comments
    I would like to be able to configure the Auto-Indentation settings to match the style used in our existing code. e.g. Be able to configure THEN DO: blocks IF expr THEN DO: RUN a. END. IF expr THEN DO: RUN a. END. IF expr THEN DO: RUN a. END...
  • Fix autocomplete in PDSOE when using CAST

When using CAST, the autocomplete in PSDOE is not working. Eg. CAST(MyObject, AnotherType): When typing the colon, PDSOE shows all HANDLE based attributes and methods, instead of those from AnotherType. The parser should be able to figure this out...
  • Add the ability to override a property

C# allows you to override properties that are virtual. Since in ABL all methods/properties are virtual (overridable) by default (i.e. not FINAL), this should also be possible here. Now you need a workaround (provide a protected overridable getter...
  • Startup option -strict to reject abbreviated keywords / file / field references

The compiler happily accepts abbreviated keywords, file and field references, but occasionally this can result in strange and hard to debug errors (see also this post). Also, it grows sloppy programs. It would be handy to have a startup option like...