OpenEdge Development - Products Enhancements - Progress Community

OpenEdge Development

• Add support for multithreading in OpenEdge

• Under Review
    • 8 Comments
    As said in the title Openedge should support multithreading It would be useful in many many cases. I know that with the Appserver you can avoid many cases where threading would be useful, but not everybody is using the appserver and even the appserver...
  • Compiler should prevent methods/functions without RETURN statement

The compiler should prohibit (or at least warn about) non void methods/functions that have no RETURN statement on every possible execution path. In Java, such code doesn't even compile. In ABL, when you forget a RETURN x. statement, you don't...
  • Unused Code

Provide optional compiler warnings for variables and properties which are not referenced in the compile unit.
  • Check for unreferenced variables

Wouldn't it be nice to finish writing a class or procedure and have a simple button that would tell you if any of the variables were unused?
  • Complete OO functionality in ABL

Currently there are quite some OO features missing in ABL that are common in other OO languages like Java or C#: An extended list of wanted features is available at http://www.oehive.org/oowishlist, but I would like to repeat some here which I think...
  • Support for multiple assemblies directories

Say you have the following situation: Project A: Is generic framework code Has its own assemblies.xml and assemblies directory Project B: Is an application using the generic framework code from Project A (PROPATH includes Project A) ...
  • Allow configuration of Auto-Indentation settings in PDSOE

• Under Review
    • 1 Comments
    I would like to be able to configure the Auto-Indentation settings to match the style used in our existing code. e.g. Be able to configure THEN DO: blocks IF expr THEN DO: RUN a. END. IF expr THEN DO: RUN a. END. IF expr THEN DO: RUN a. END...
  • Fix autocomplete in PDSOE when using CAST

When using CAST, the autocomplete in PSDOE is not working. Eg. CAST(MyObject, AnotherType): When typing the colon, PDSOE shows all HANDLE based attributes and methods, instead of those from AnotherType. The parser should be able to figure this out...
  • Add the ability to override a property

C# allows you to override properties that are virtual. Since in ABL all methods/properties are virtual (overridable) by default (i.e. not FINAL), this should also be possible here. Now you need a workaround (provide a protected overridable getter...
  • Add enums to the ABL language

Title says it all, add enums to the ABL language. Currently some implementations exist like Mike Fechner's example (http://blog.consultingwerk.de/consultingwerkblog/2010/08/a-pattern-for-enums), but this should really be part of the languag