Difference between logical reads and record reads

Posted by James Palmer on 08-May-2014 10:23

We've got a query performance issue that we're trying to work out. None of us are particularly expert at this sort of thing. It's hard to debug this in production because there's a lot of noise going on from other users. Running the queries in a development db gives you some benefits but sadly buffer hits are at 100% which doesn't reflect the experience in live. But I'm hoping you can help me work out what is going on. 

Customer and address are related to each other 1-1. Each address record is unique even if the address is shared. So to read 500 customers you'd expect to also read 500 unique addresses. All of the queries below use the primary index which is on the key. 

If you do a for each on customer we get 4793 record reads but 13501 logical reads. It takes x amount of time. 

If you do a for each on customer, first address of customer, we get 9566 record reads but 33277 logical reads. It takes 2.5x amount of time compared to just customers. In live it can take up to 10x as long - probably due to the reduced buffer hits. 

My initial question is, why so many more logical reads compared with record reads? Is there anything else I can look at to help debug this?

Thanks for your help

James

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 08-May-2014 10:24

I should add - Progress 11.2.1 on Windows 2003 Server (32 bit still!!!!).

Posted by jmls on 08-May-2014 10:32

9566 = as near as dammit to 4793 * 2

which means 1 customer, 1 address

however,

13501 logical / 4793 record = approx 2.81 logical per record
33277 logical / 9566 record = approx 3.47 logical per record

which indicates (to this gui guy, anyway!) that both the customer (2.8
reads per customer) and the address record is fragmented. At a guess,
do you create the address record. save it (probably with only a key)
and then update it (so the record no longer fits in a single block ) ?

your live db may be worse because there is a lot more data writing
going on, and therefore fragmenting the records even more - and
sending them all over the disk rather than in a contiguous block

trying dumping and loading your dev db and see what happens in terms
of performance

Julian

On 8 May 2014 16:24, James Palmer
wrote:
> RE: Difference between logical reads and record reads
> Reply by James Palmer
>
> I should add - Progress 11.2.1 on Windows 2003 Server (32 bit still!!!!).
>
> Stop receiving emails on this subject.
>
> Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
Julian Lyndon-Smith
IT Director,
dot.r
http://www.dotr.com

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of
low price is forgotten”

Follow dot.r on http://twitter.com/DotRlimited

Posted by James Palmer on 08-May-2014 10:37

Thanks Julian. My dev DB was restored from backup yesterday...

Will dumping and loading just the two tables in question be necessary? I don't fancy doing the whole 360GB DB over a USB2.0 connection ;)

Posted by jmls on 08-May-2014 10:41

yes, just customer and address would be fine, just to test the theory :)

On 8 May 2014 16:37, James Palmer
wrote:
> Reply by James Palmer
>
> Thanks Julian. My dev DB was restored from backup yesterday...
>
> Will dumping and loading just the two tables in question be necessary? I
> don't fancy doing the whole 360GB DB over a USB2.0 connection ;)
>
>

--
Julian Lyndon-Smith
IT Director,
dot.r

low price is forgotten”

Posted by ChUIMonster on 08-May-2014 10:42

Unless you use the new-fangled TABLE-SCAN option every record read involves the logical reading of both a data block and (at least one) index block.  So the expected ratio of logical reads to record reads is a bit more than 2:1.

(CAN-FIND() might, under some circumstances, result in index reads with no record reads.)

3:5:1 is a bit high -- but not scary high.  It may indicate fragmentation, DBANALYS can give you some insight there.  It might also mean that your index isn't as good as you think it is.  Or that you aren't using the index that you think you are using.

ProTop is very helpful here -- it will show you, at runtime, which tables and indexes are in use dynamically.  The results sometimes surprise people.

Also that "FIRST address OF customer" probably isn't doing what you think it is doing.

Posted by James Palmer on 08-May-2014 10:42

Thanks. I'll give it a bash tomorrow.

I wouldn't be surprised as we've not performed much by way of admin on the DB side of late. Mainly because we don't have the disk space available to do so. It's a bit of a catch 22.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 08-May-2014 10:43

Dumping and loading will only make a difference if you are actually fragmented.  Check dbanalys first.

Posted by James Palmer on 08-May-2014 10:45

Thanks Tom - agree OF is bad. I just used it as a shorthand here. I know which indexes are used as I have a tool similar to protop. It's definitely using the primary index - primarykey of the table in each case.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 08-May-2014 10:46

OF is not the problem.  FIRST is.

Posted by James Palmer on 08-May-2014 10:48

What is a "bad" amount of fragmentation? It's not been that long since I ran dbanalys and it's showing 1.2 for Customer. 1.0 for Address.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 08-May-2014 10:51

PRIMARYness isn't necessarily good.  The quality of the bracket is what matters.  How well do the WHERE clause and the indexes match?  PRIMARY is a tie-breaker, not a goal.

If the WHERE clause and the indexes are not 100% equality matches then the expected ratio should be expected to be higher than 2:1 because there will be filtering of the result set which means excess reads.

Posted by James Palmer on 08-May-2014 10:54

It's essentially

For each customer,

first address where address.addresskey eq customer.addresskey.

The indexes are: addresskey on address, customerkey on customer. If that makes sense.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 08-May-2014 10:54

Re: fragmentation.  Don't trust the "factor".  In some releases it is calculated incorrectly.  Look at "number of records" vs "number of fragments".  If fragments is 110% of records then 10% of records are fragmented (roughly).  That's not enough to be behind reading 50% more blocks than you expect.

Posted by James Palmer on 08-May-2014 10:57

Factor looks reliable enough in this case based on the check you describe.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 08-May-2014 11:02

Can you replace that code with:

for each customer no-lock:
 find address no-lock where address.addresskey = customer.addresskey.

end.

If you can do that -- does it perform better?

If you get a runtime error on the FIND because the WHERE is not unique then that is why your ratio is off.  Baically if you have an index on the address table whose leading component is "addresskey" and which if address key is unique then you do not need the FIRST and the query will be as efficient as possible.

If you do not have such an index then you have to do extra work to find the FIRST record.  (And that FIRST record is also denormalized black magic which will probably cause a bug some day.)

Posted by gus on 08-May-2014 11:47

What's a "bad" amount of fragmentation? Depends.

When a row is fragmented, that means that the row (almost always) occupies more than one data block. This results in additional disk I/O and additional database buffer pool accesses which in turn affects performance.

If all the rows in a table are in two fragments, this is probably bad. But if it is a table that doesn't get read very often, maybe it doesn't matter. So you have to consider the activity on the fragmented table in comparison to the overall workload. protop can show you that.

Posted by James Palmer on 09-May-2014 02:41

FOR EACH icmas.customer FIELDS (addresskey) NO-LOCK.

FIND icmas.address WHERE icmas.address.addresskey EQ icmas.customersite.addresskey NO-LOCK.

END.  

This has next to no difference in performance.

Posted by James Palmer on 09-May-2014 04:01

I'm trying the dump and load approach in my development environment. So I've dumped the two tables and loaded them. It suggested I might want to rebuild the indexes. On doing this I get:

Fix RECID 1650335137, CustomerSite already exists with Customer Site Key 554968.

(1127)

72k of these errors.

Which suggests it's duplicated records. I'm guessing I missed a step. Any ideas what?

Posted by jmls on 09-May-2014 04:11

um, did you delete the records after dumping them ... ?

On 9 May 2014 10:02, James Palmer
wrote:
> Reply by James Palmer
>
> I'm trying the dump and load approach in my development environment. So I've
> dumped the two tables and loaded them. It suggested I might want to rebuild
> the indexes. On doing this I get:
>
> Fix RECID 1650335137, CustomerSite already exists with Customer Site Key
> 554968.
>
> (1127)
>
> 72k of these errors.
>
> Which suggests it's duplicated records. I'm guessing I missed a step. Any
> ideas what?
>
>

--
Julian Lyndon-Smith
IT Director,
dot.r

low price is forgotten”

Posted by James Palmer on 09-May-2014 04:45

No that would have been sensible wouldn't it?! :)

Is it just a for each, delete, or is there a more simple way?

Posted by jmls on 09-May-2014 05:11

lol!

if you have the tables in their own type-2 area, you can truncate area
(sub second to delete the whole record set)

or drop the table, load the df back in

or simple for each .. delete ...

On 9 May 2014 10:46, James Palmer
wrote:
> Reply by James Palmer
>
> No that would have been sensible wouldn't it?! :)
>
> Is it just a for each, delete, or is there a more simple way?
>
>

--
Julian Lyndon-Smith
IT Director,
dot.r

low price is forgotten”

Posted by James Palmer on 09-May-2014 07:51

Thanks Julian. Decided to drop the table and recreate with an incremental df.

One question - when I dumped the tables I ended up with 2 files for one table and 4 files for the other. I've had to load them back in one at a time using

proutil icmasliv -C load c:\temp\customersite.bd

1 command for each file.

Is there a way of getting it to load them all in one?

Maybe I should start a new thread called James's high demand random question relating to DBA work thread. Feel like I've got loads of stupid questions!

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-May-2014 08:13

"Next to no difference" measured how?  The ratio of logical reads to record reads?  Or some flaky timing comparison?

The difference in runtime going from from a 3.5: 1 to a 2:1 ratio when we are only talking about 10,000 record reads is going to be minuscule.  Either way it is a small fraction of a second.  If this is all about making a query like that go noticeably faster you're probably barking up the wrong tree anyway.

If you have some bit of code reading roughly 10,000 records and it is taking more than a fraction of a second the problem isn't that the ratio of logical reads to record reads is slightly higher than ideal -- the problem lies elsewhere.

Posted by James Palmer on 09-May-2014 08:20

Measured on logical vs record reads. The issue is that a colleague is running a similar query over an Appserver from a web interface and it's taking up to 20 times as long to run in live as soon as you add the address lookup compared to just having the customer. Buffer hits are pretty poor.

Obviously the long term solution is to improve the buffer hit % for example. But to do that we need to do a lot of upgrading - not least 64bit OS and DB executables so we have a decent amount of RAM for the -B.

I'm just trying to work out if there is anything we can do in the short term to improve the performance whilst we wait for the slow cogs of industry to turn and give us what we need to improve our hardware.

Posted by gus on 09-May-2014 08:42

james, are we talking about your database or your colleague's ? i think we need to see metrics from your colleague's.  and configuration parameter settings. problem could be caused by many different things.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-May-2014 08:42

You are reading twice as many records when you add "address" to the query so 2x makes sense.  The fragmentation seems to be about 20% -- so that's another 20% -- still a far cry from 20x.

I'll be surprised if dumping and loading has much of an impact.

If "buffer hits" (or the lack thereof) is truly the problem then you would normally expect that running the same query twice in a row would show a big difference in response time (the 2nd run should be much faster because the data is in the buffers).  Have you tested that?  Is that your experience?

If that isn't the case then it is more likely to be related to the transfer of data between the app server and the client or something about the code that surrounds the query rather than the query itself.  (Or some unrevealed aspect of the query being run on the app server that differs from what you are telling us.)

Your colleague is also querying roughly 5,000 x 2 records?  How long does that take?  Are we talking fractions of a second?  A second or two?  Minutes?  Hours?

Posted by James Palmer on 09-May-2014 08:52

[mention:9617a07f61934bc98f6fccb3b7fabfae:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05]  - overall we're talking about production. And I can provide the metrics from there. It's just harder to pinpoint what is my query, and what is noise. There's not a huge amount of point providing configuration settings at this time as we're (hopefully) moving to a more modern server in the next few weeks meaning we'd have to reconfigure anyway.

Thanks everyone for their input. It has been helpful.

[mention:dc2ff39fa15940708b78017f1194db6a:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] We tested the query using FIELDS( ) so that it would minimise what is brought across the wire.

Ultimately I think this discussion is now moot. We need to upgrade our servers and then spend time configuring them to our requirements. Until then anything else is a waste of time.

Thanks everyone.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-May-2014 09:02

I disagree about the discussion being moot.  There is  much to be learned even if you cannot act on things immediately.

For instance -- using FIELDS reduces the size of the data but it doesn't really speak to how the marshaling and de-marhsalling of the data is managed.  There are many ways to do that and some of them have performance implications.  Saying that you are using FIELDS and that, therefore, the transfer between the app server and the client cannot be a problem is nonsense.

Likewise -- deciding to try a dump & load based on fragmentatiion in your test database rather than the metrics from production would be ill-advised.

BTW -- ProTop can easily show you CRUD stats per table and index by user.  That would go a long ways toward eliminating the noise.

Don't take this wrong but, from a performance analysis POV, you seem to be consistently focusing on minutiae and silver bullets.  That's not unusual but it is also not going to solve your problem (except accidentally).

Posted by James Palmer on 09-May-2014 09:07

Thanks Tom. Not taken wrongly. :) I'm trying to learn but without being given time to learn. Last DBA training I had was the introductory DBA course provided by Progress back in around 2000. Learning everything else on the job. This place is very helpful. As are you! ;)

Thanks for the plug of ProTop. :D

Posted by jmls on 09-May-2014 09:11

You do know that protop is a free, open source product, right? It's not a plug, just a pointer to the fact that there are some tools available to help you find and potentially fix your problems.

[collapse]
On 9 May 2014 15:08, "James Palmer" <bounce-jdpjamesp@community.progress.com> wrote:
Reply by James Palmer

Thanks Tom. Not taken wrongly. :) I'm trying to learn but without being given time to learn. Last DBA training I had was the introductory DBA course provided by Progress back in around 2000. Learning everything else on the job. This place is very helpful. As are you! ;)

Thanks for the plug of ProTop. :D

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 09-May-2014 09:13

I did the D&L as it's good practise (not done one before). Out of interest

"If you do a for each on customer we get 4793 record reads but 13501 logical reads. It takes x amount of time.

If you do a for each on customer, first address of customer, we get 9566 record reads but 33277 logical reads. It takes 2.5x amount of time compared to just customers. In live it can take up to 10x as long - probably due to the reduced buffer hits."

Since the D&L it's now 9605 logicals for the first query, 28721 for the second. So there's definitely a reduction but not massive. Tom's scepticism is upheld ;)

Posted by James Palmer on 09-May-2014 09:13

Yes I do know it's free Julian. Thanks :)

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 09-May-2014 11:49

Hey James,

Do you routinely set the -tablerangesize and -indexrangesize startup params on your databases?  I find it's a helpful practice to do so.  You don't always know when or where you'll want to look at CRUD stats in the future, and when you do it isn't always convenient to bounce the DB to set these params.

If they have been set properly (i.e. above your highest table # and index # respectively, assuming the -basetable and -baseindex params are set to 1), as Tom said you can read the data from _UserTableStat and _UserIndexStat for just the clients you are interested in, which will eliminate the "noise" of CRUD from other clients.

You could also use the QryInfo logentrytype and/or -zqil to get some additional info on how your queries are being resolved, which index(es) are selected, and how well you're bracketing on them.

This thread is closed