Migrate OpenEdge to SQL Server - Load SQL/Move Data question

Posted by Admin on 07-Oct-2008 08:33

Hi,

We're looking to migrate our Progress db to a SQL db, using the Progress utility to migrate.

Could someone please clarify the Load SQL and Move Data options for me? My understanding of the Load SQL is that this will create a .sql file with the data definitions of the database, which can then be loaded into the new SQL db. I believe that the Move Data won't actually move the data, more so create a copy of the data which can be loaded into the SQL db.

This is my big concern. We don't want to remove the data from the Progress db at this time; just want to pull out a copy of the data to see if it maps to another system of ours from SQL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jamey

All Replies

Posted by rstanciu on 09-Oct-2008 06:05

why do you move data from progress to other?

, is not necessary, you can use a the DataDirect driver via ODBC to connect to the progress database.

Posted by Admin on 16-Oct-2008 14:12

we actually need to bring a copy of it to my office in the US from another office that's in the UK. We don't have Progress installed and want to be able to manipulate the data possibly. Getting the data into SQL is the plan, but we don't want to remove the original data from Progress. Will the Move Data just do the copy?

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 16-Oct-2008 15:05

No data is removed from the source database. I have done this a couple of times with the Progress 2 Oracle utility.

From the docs:

Check this toggle box to dump and load data from the Progress database to the target database. Copying data from a large database can take a long time. You can uncheck this toggle box if you want to dump and load data at a more convenient time.

Posted by rstanciu on 17-Oct-2008 09:56

I'm asking if you don't need a licence for DataServer MQQSL ?

to do this.

but, you can export the tables/index structure:

Data administration -> PRO/SQL -> Dump as create table statement

and export data as text:

Admin-> Export data -> using an fomat text and separators , easy to be

imported in MSSQL over a script.

or:

Dump Data -> (*.d)

This thread is closed