Low performance in Windows 2012

Posted by claudemir_santos on 02-Jul-2017 11:29

Good afternoon everyone.
I have a client / server application running with Progress 11 (11.6.3).
Users connect in terminal server (balance with 4 servers).
TS Servers run on Windows 2012R2.
Each server has 32GB of memory and 16VCPU.
On average 15 users live on each server.
When running a program on these servers this program takes 30 min to execute.
This same program on another server (but running with 2008R2 on a server with 6GB of memory and 2VCPU) takes less than 5 min.
All servers are virtual.
Is there a problem reported with win2012?

All Replies

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 02-Jul-2017 11:47

Is the VMWare or HyperV?

If VMWare, what is the NIC type?  E1000 or vmxnet3?

Paul

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 02-Jul-2017 12:02

Assuming virtualization platform, ensure that the physical servers running the VM’s have an energy efficiency settings in their BIOS set for max performance (Dell services have a default which shuts down CPUs to save energy and this negatively affects the VMs.  Also, ensure that any VM used as a database server has in its VM settings its latency sensitivity set to high (note: this is vmware, others may have similar setting).

Posted by ChUIMonster on 02-Jul-2017 12:12

Also -- 16 VCPUs?  Do you *really* need 16 vcpus?  If you do... does the physical host have 16 physical cores free when you need them?  Or is your hypervisor spending a lot of time waiting for those rare moments when there are 16 free cpus to run your VM on?

If you look at perfmon and see that you're only using 10% of those 16 vcpus try scaling back the VM to 2 cores (or whatever "right-size" is a good close match to actual cpu needs).  You just might be amazed at how much more you can get done by demanding less.

Posted by Gareth Vincent on 04-Jul-2017 04:10

You might want to look at disabling "Fair Usage" on your servers.  This is a new feature and it is enabled by default. I know from experience that this can cause performance problems.  With the amount of VCPU's you have and the amount of users on each server, I can't see any need for you to have it enabled. www.synergex.com/.../

Posted by claudemir_santos on 05-Jul-2017 08:50

After changing the NIC to vmxnet3 the performance changed by 300%, even faster than in windows 2008.
Thanks Paul for the tip
De: Gareth Vincent [mailto:bounce-10209033@community.progress.com]
Enviada em: terça-feira, 4 de julho de 2017 06:12
Para: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Assunto: RE: [Technical Users - OE General] Low performance in Windows 2012: Suggested Answer

Update from Progress Community

RE: Low performance in Windows 2012

You might want to look at disabling "Fair Usage" on your servers.  This is a new feature and it is enabled by default. I know from experience that this can cause performance problems.  With the amount of VCPU's you have and the amount of users on each server, I can't see any need for you to have it enabled. www.synergex.com/.../

Did this answer your question?

Verify it as the answer or Reject it as the answer

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by claudemir_santos on 05-Jul-2017 08:52

See

De: Gareth Vincent [mailto:bounce-10209033@community.progress.com]
Enviada em: terça-feira, 4 de julho de 2017 06:12
Assunto: RE: [Technical Users - OE General] Low performance in Windows 2012: Suggested Answer

RE: Low performance in Windows 2012

Did this answer your question?

Verify it as the answer or Reject it as the answer

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 05-Jul-2017 08:56

About 5 years ago [mention:44a028c96ca44788b729e5185220e84a:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05]  saved my butt with this vmxnet3 vs E1000 tip. I never forgot it.

Posted by claudemir_santos on 06-Jul-2017 12:12

The same problem occurs with Hyper-V. Same symptom of slowness with Windows 2012.
De: Paul Koufalis [mailto:bounce-pkoufalis@community.progress.com]
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 5 de julho de 2017 10:57
Assunto: RE: [Technical Users - OE General] Low performance in Windows 2012

About 5 years ago Libor Laubacher  saved my butt with this vmxnet3 vs E1000 tip. I never forgot it.

View online

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 06-Jul-2017 19:12

I don't know the solution for Hyper-V but if you find, please share!

Regards,

Paul

Posted by Gareth Vincent on 10-Jul-2017 03:06

Hi Paul,

There is a know issue with the Broadcom netXtreme network adapter that caused bad latency in Hyper-v.  Here is the link:  support.microsoft.com/.../virtual-machines-lose-network-connectivity-when-you-use-broadcom-netxt

This thread is closed