OpenEdge Slack channel?

Posted by bronco on 09-May-2017 07:40

Hi!

Is anyone interested in a Slack channel for OpenEdge? There's one for Nativescript (next to a forum) and it works pretty well. If this is a good thing, do you feel it should be initiated bij Progress or the community (I took the liberty to start one myself, based on the replies I may proceed with this)? 

Feel free to make suggestions (or just to say that's not a good idea, don't send the lawyers).

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 09-May-2017 07:52

Isn't Slack limited in terms of members unless you pay?

Posted by Kim Ward on 09-May-2017 07:56

I believe you can have as many member as you want but every 10k messages get archived and there is an upload limit of around 5GB.

Posted by bronco on 09-May-2017 08:22

Kim's right. The reason I think Slack is a good idea is that it gives means to communicate much more directly with each other.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 09-May-2017 08:32

If we're going that direction, I'd much rather create peg 2.0, re-establish the mailing lists, and add other functionality as needed.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 09-May-2017 08:36

No Tim don't do it! Do not fracture the community any more than it already is. There is already this site, stackoverflow, progresstalk, linkedIn, facebook, google groups...

Slack serves a different purpose from community.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 09-May-2017 08:45

I agree with Paul.  This community is too small to be further carving it into more silos.  Also, a big part of the value of a community is the ability to search past conversations.  You lose that with Slack, at least on the free tier.

I'd like to see PSC continue to invest in Community.  It's getting better but there is a long way to go.  The underlying platform is quite limited in its capabilities in comparison to other more mature forum platforms.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 09-May-2017 08:46

Oh please not that "fractured" thing again. Peg and communities both worked well when peg was still around, and if a "new peg" site is created using a modern mailing list system that supported html, etc. it could work even better.

As for stackoverflow, progresstalk, linkedIn, facebook, google groups - stackoverflow is just for questions and doesn't work towards developing a community, progress talk gets some chatter, and I can't recall the rest getting much activity overall. The difficulty in getting community buy-in alone is the most compelling argument against forming another community channel.

Posted by Christophe CAMICAS on 09-May-2017 08:51

I agree with [mention:3cb137fff0074190a2d3f32e55cf403a:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05], Slack serves a different purpose.

Community and Stackoverflow are usefull for SEO (make OpenEdge topics visible and searchable among the mass).

Slack is more a direct team interaction.

The free plan allows an unlimited user number, but limit the search within the last 10 000 messages. Besides, you can't store more than 5GB of attachments. These 2 limits are easily reached, but non-blocking in a day to day use.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 09-May-2017 08:51

@Rob - this isn't a zero-sum game. If someone were to create a NewPEG people could participate in both forums as they wanted.

Your comment about the platform's limitations is one of the stronger reasons for the community going its own way - if the community wanted to do something and there was people willing to get it done, they could get the job done instead of waiting for PSC to agree with the direction and make the change.

Posted by Kim Ward on 09-May-2017 08:51

In regards to Robs comment. While you are correct that Slack would be an awful lot more useful the ability to search chat logs shouldn't be considered core. I've seen communities thrive without around plenty of other languages. I think it's more about the ability of real-time chat with other developers.

Posted by bronco on 09-May-2017 08:52

Well, let's turn this thread not into a discussion whether we need more/less mailing lists / fora. Slack is a different medium altogether, much more direct. IMHO, it would be a great addition next to what we have right now.  

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 09-May-2017 08:53

Re: slack limitations - I'd note that there are open source / freeware competitors to slack...

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 09-May-2017 08:59

I work daily with Slack and RocketChat and have been using both for a year or two now. I much prefer Slack. I have no experience with other competitors.

We need someone from PSC to pipe in. [mention:b95db7be848d40f8a39db30310edfa01:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] ? If not Brian he certainly would know to whom to forward this conversation.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 09-May-2017 09:05

[mention:834b473463c04ade8de02f0bd88082ae:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05]  Fair enough; but as has been said above, Slack and other messaging platforms aren't forums.  The limitations of Community and the time it might take to address them might be a reason for the community to put up its own forum platform.  But it doesn't make sense to me to use that reason to justify an OE channel in Slack.  They serve different needs.

I use Slack at work so I understand its utility for work teams interacting frequently on projects.  I guess I just don't see the problem in the OE community for which Slack is the solution.  Is it more a desire to resurrect PEG or something like it than to address the shortcomings in Community?

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 09-May-2017 09:16

@Rob - I put the mailing list thing out as an idea - if we're seriously talking about another communications channel outside of communities then I think that should be on the table as well.

Before Greg killed it, peg was serving a useful purpose as a communications channel that was separate from PSC and only needed an email account to use. It would also be dead easy to resurrect - all we'd need is a small cloud image, an appropriate domain name, install a mailing list manager, create the mailing lists, and it'd be up and running.

Such an image could also be used to host a slack-like platform, archives, etc. etc. The various PUGs could have their own web-presence on the same image under that domain (ie OntPUG.ProgressTech.com, MiPUG.ProgressTech.com, etc.) or they could use their own domain name.

And this can all be done for a minimal ongoing cost.

Posted by bronco on 09-May-2017 11:44

Well while you were discussing a "one platform to rule them all" I started with:

openedge.slack.com

I think to be able to communicate with your peers directly brings an extra touch and value to the community. I you  endorse this, share this as much as possible.

EDITTED: the scripts I was using were asking too much information of the team member. For the sake of our privacy I will handle the invites by email for now. You can find my email address by clicking my profile (I don't want to put it in this message). 

Posted by bronco on 09-May-2017 12:45

Once you have subscribed you can always invite others so the Slack OpenEdge community grows faster. The more the merrier.

If you experience issues with the self-inviting web site, please inform me  so I can address the issue.

Thanks

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 13-May-2017 10:17

got:

"missing_scope "    

error with for octavioolguin at hot mail

Posted by bronco on 15-May-2017 04:03

Octavio, I just sent you an invite. Let's see if that works.

Posted by jbijker on 15-May-2017 04:08

I'm also getting the missing_scope error.

Posted by bronco on 15-May-2017 04:26

What do you do exactly to get this error?

Posted by jbijker on 15-May-2017 04:38

1. Open https://bfv.io/slack/openedge

2. Provide email address in input box

3. Click on "Get my invite"

4. "Get my invite" changes to "Loading...", then a JS alert pop up: bfv.io says: missing_scope

5. Reproduced on Win 10 Pro:  Firefox  Developer Editon 54.0a2 (2017-04-18) (64-bit) & Chrome Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit) & Microsoft Edge 40.15063.0.0

Posted by bronco on 15-May-2017 06:16

I'm working on it, however I'm dependent on a 3rd party script...

In the mean time anyone can send me a mail to get an invite, I'll invite you by hand. For my mail address see my profile.

This thread is closed