High (100%) CPU usage by _sqlsrv2 processes. Do I need worry

Posted by jolysanthcs on 05-Jan-2017 22:29

O

One our customer production database(Linux/OE102B) _sqlsrv2 processes consistently show 100% CPU. Customer complaining that reports talking long time to process. There is no problem with the indexes used in the report query.

I found an OE article talk about the same. http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P112942 Does it Progress by design! 

Also how to identify which query is run by the process (by using process ID)?

Does it possible to identify from _Connect VST or anywhere else?

When I query _Connect,the values of _Connect-CacheInfoType & _Connect-CacheInfo[32] shown as ? <unknown>.

Any database parameter controlled to log these values?

Appreciate the inputs.

Thanks

Joly Santh

All Replies

Posted by sjardosh on 06-Jan-2017 03:34

Yes, there are cases where you can see very high CPU utilization from SQL server.

You can get the SQL statement from _Connect-CacheInfoType & _Connect-CacheInfo[32].  To get this information you

need to enable "Client Database-Request Statement Cache" using promon.  In promon go to R&D menu, 1 Status Display, 18. Client Database-Request Statement Cache ....

Posted by sjardosh on 06-Jan-2017 03:42

Alternatively, you can enable SQL server log.  SQL server log provide queries executed by SQL server.  You can enable SQL server log at connection level as well as server level.  

SQL-92: HOW TO TURN SQL STATEMENT LOGGING ON AND OFF?

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P119161

Posted by Jayaprakash Jayakumar on 09-Jan-2017 07:03

Hi ,

Hope updating sql statistics will help ,if utilization still keep on high then get the sql plan for that specific query .

Check the query is utilizing right indexes or any full table scan.

This thread is closed