Installing 32-bit ODBC drivers with 64-bit already installed

Posted by stapes on 04-Aug-2015 05:59

I have OpenEdge 10.2B installed in the folder C:/Progress/ClientAccess but I also require the 32 bit drivers. The documentation clearly tells me that these should be installed in an alterative directory: (http://documentation.progress.com/output/ua/OpenEdge_latest/index.html#page/gsins/coexistent-installation-of-32-bit-and-64-bit-ope.html) I downloaded 10.2B 32-bit SQL Client Access from here: Download URL http://downloads.capita-software.co.uk/OPENProducts/OpenEdge/Utils/102b_sqlclientaccess_nt32-zip.exe When try to run the setup.exe, it first responds with this message: The installation has detected that there exists a previous installation of OpenEdge in the following directory: C:/Progress/ClientAccess The installation can only install additional product(s) to the above directory. Would you like to continue. I am not being given the choice of installing in a different directory. If I continue, I get this error: The setup utility detected an attempt to install a 32 bit installation into an existing 64 bit installation. Aborting ... How can I achieve this?

All Replies

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 04-Aug-2015 06:04

That's 11.5 documentation and in 11.5 you can do it. Not in 10.2B.

You can't install 32 and 64-bit OE of same version (on Windows) prior 11.5.

Posted by stapes on 04-Aug-2015 06:11

this program was working fine until about a week ago. Now, it gives this error:

System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [IM014] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

at System.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection.HandleError(OdbcHandle hrHandle, RetCode retcode)

The explanation: You are accessing a 32 bit odbc driver on a 64 bit system.

**** Both  64-bit and 32-bit versions were installed on the machine until yesterday, when it was noticed. Both were removed, and now I am attempting to put them back.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 04-Aug-2015 06:21
Posted by stapes on 04-Aug-2015 06:45

First of all, to say that you can't install 32 and 64-bit OE of same version (on Windows) prior 11.5 is not true, as both WERE installed on this system until yesterday.They were uninstalled to try and address a new problem that had arisen since last weekend. Our software was not changed, and had been working fine until last weekend. The only possible change was through Windows Update.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 04-Aug-2015 06:58

> First of all, to say that you can't install 32 and 64-bit OE of same version (on Windows) prior 11.5 is not true, as both

> WERE installed on this system until yesterday

Oh, my apologies. I should have said 'using the installation routine'. Of course you can copy the files over and create the required registry and files and config yourself. If that's what you want to do again, then I'd suggest you to find someone who did that hack at the first place.

You said you downloaded SQL Client access to install it - why to download it again? It was (as you claim) already installed, so the installation files should be present somewhere? Was it really SQL client access you had there or was it perhaps Data Direct Connect Suite? (the name might not be exactly correct).

Posted by Frank Meulblok on 04-Aug-2015 07:00

See also:

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000026677

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000034743

For more information on how to bypass the limtis of the installer utility and get the drivers installed.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 04-Aug-2015 07:02

Or you can just get 11.x SQL client access instead.....

Posted by stapes on 04-Aug-2015 08:24

OK. Apparently releases below 11.5 do need to be at different release levels when installing on the same server so I may be able to install 32bit 10.1B Client Access. I'll let you know.

Posted by stapes on 04-Aug-2015 10:53

That worked. I had to install 32bit 10.1B Client Access. Then, using C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe I had to create 32 bit DSN names.

This thread is closed