How to use dll?

Posted by goo on 09-Sep-2019 12:32

I have found the following:

http://www.chilkatsoft.com/

and Wonder how to implement this kind of software in OpenEdge. Is it possible to load the dll into eclipse?

Maybe a stupied question, but I will ask anyway :-)

//Geir Otto

All Replies

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 09-Sep-2019 12:38

What is the purpose of the dll? If communcation via different protocols is it then perhaps take a look at curl. It's a defacto standard in Linux-based systems and available in Windows as well. It's free (open source), highly flexible and well maintained. We use curl mainly for calling REST-based API's.

https://curl.haxx.se/

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 09-Sep-2019 12:43

Hmmm. Wrote an answer and made an edit and it disappeared... So if you get two answers from me thats why.

If communication via different protocols is what your after you should look into curl. Curl is a defacto standard in Linux and is used all over the world for those purposes.

Its free (open source), highly flexible and well maintained. It's available for all possible OS:es. We use it mainly for calling rest-based API's but it support almost any network protocol.

https://curl.haxx.se/

Posted by goo on 09-Sep-2019 12:46

I was curious if I could use it for OneDrive, excel or oAuth2 implementations. Not sure if it is usable, but I am kind of curious if it is possible to implement it with Progress.

//Geir Otto

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 09-Sep-2019 13:01

Perhaps you better try to explain the problem you are trying to solve and then somebody might be able to help. I think perhaps that dll can be used FROM Excel (and more).

Posted by goo on 09-Sep-2019 13:38

I want to make save some files to a OneDrive directory, and read from it. I was also interest in the oAuth2 interface, but I have done that kind of interface using Microsoft.IdentityModel.Clients.ActiveDirectory.

What is needed for using dll like the one I ask about? I am just curious about how to implement stuff like that dll….

//Geir Otto

Posted by David Abdala on 09-Sep-2019 13:51

Hi, i'm finding yor question to be "broad" and unespecific (if that word exists).

I have just look into that library web site and Delphi examples, and I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to use it from ABL, as from any other language (like Delphi which is very similar to ABL in external dll usage, or C).

Library seems to have all the API as C stdcall, so: what exactly is your question about it?

Posted by goo on 09-Sep-2019 13:58

I am trying to load it into the assemblies, but I am not able to do so. I am not able to do a normal
Def var oClass of class ChilKat or what ever I have to write….

When looking into the .dll, and looking at the examples, it seems pretty straight forward, but not since I am not able to load it 😊

//Gei r Otto

Posted by tbergman on 09-Sep-2019 16:06

Hi,

I use this regularly. There is an issue with 64 vs 32 bit versions. This is not a dll that will work on both 32 and 64 bit Progress, there is a version for each bitness. Make sure you have the correct one.

Other than that, it should be as easy to load into assemblies as any other .Net dll.

It works very well from Progress.

Tom

This thread is closed