KB Cause: The exact cause is not known at this time.

Posted by dbeavon on 17-Mar-2020 14:29

I have had a number of support tickets go all the way thru tech support, product development, and get fixed in hotfixes and service packs.  

But when you go back to review the KB afterwards, it always says "Cause: The exact cause is not known at this time."

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+exact+cause+is+not+known+at+this+time%22+site%3Aknowledgebase.progress.com

Given that the issue is already fixed, it would be very worrisome if they had not found the cause before fixing it!  I suspect this part of the KB is never maintained.   I would suggest removing it, or moving it to the very bottom where it can be ignored.  Usually the "Resolution" part of the ticket is much more important/valuable than the "Cause" part. 

After scanning hundreds/thousands of articles, I'm fairly tired of reading this "Cause: The exact cause is not known at this time."  It is typically just misinformation, and it has no purpose than to trip over.  I preceeds the actual resolution, eg. "the fix for this issue is expected to be in the upcoming releases 11.7.x..."

Here is an example

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/net-openclient-has-rare-exceptions-related-to-concurrent-creation-of-appobjects

Posted by ChUIMonster on 17-Mar-2020 15:15

I agree.  There are a lot of those and it is worrisome.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 17-Mar-2020 15:40

David,

The articles are supposed to be ‘just in time’ updated.  If you find one that hasn’t been updated and the issue it points to is resolved please submit KB Feedback to us.  The feedback will generate a case for a support engineer to update the article.

Brian

All Replies

Posted by ChUIMonster on 17-Mar-2020 15:15

I agree.  There are a lot of those and it is worrisome.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 17-Mar-2020 15:18

Agreed.

Posted by dbeavon on 17-Mar-2020 15:32

Thanks for letting me vent.  The exact cause for my venting is not known at this time, but it has something to do with reading way too many KB articles.  (Even so, please keep them coming!)

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 17-Mar-2020 15:40

David,

The articles are supposed to be ‘just in time’ updated.  If you find one that hasn’t been updated and the issue it points to is resolved please submit KB Feedback to us.  The feedback will generate a case for a support engineer to update the article.

Brian

This thread is closed