Unable to Start oepas1 -- followed KUIB education PDF

Posted by avtar.jain on 22-Aug-2018 10:47

hi

I followed "Exercise Guide.pdf" provided within Kendo UI exercise executable (KUIB.exe) step by step.

Installed OE11.7 64 BIT

Followed steps to publish services using sports3000 database

Everything was going okay until point3 or part 3 (explorer connection and db connections were successful)

When I tried to RUN oepas1 from "Servers" tab I got following error -

###########################

!SESSION 2018-08-22 15:25:20.675 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=4.5.2.M20160212-1500
java.version=1.8.0_101
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_GB
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64

!ENTRY com.openedge.pdt.server 4 0 2018-08-22 15:44:38.122
!MESSAGE Failed to extract zip: Exception publishing rcode for broker oepas1: Error occurred during initialization of VM\ProgressApplicationServerforOpenEdgefathom3-tosh.oepas1-fathom3-tosh.pf (The system cannot find the path specified)
URL invoked: localhost:9090/.../artifacts

!STACK 0
com.openedge.pdt.explorer.model.ProgressExplorerException: Failed to extract zip: Exception publishing rcode for broker oepas1: Error occurred during initialization of VM\ProgressApplicationServerforOpenEdgefathom3-tosh.oepas1-fathom3-tosh.pf (The system cannot find the path specified)

at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.communication.response.ResponseValidator.validateResponse(ResponseValidator.java:96)
    at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.communication.command.OEMHTTPCommand.validateResponse(OEMHTTPCommand.java:261)
    at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.communication.command.OEMHTTPCommand.doPublish(OEMHTTPCommand.java:167)
    at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.communication.command.AppServerPublishCommand.execute(AppServerPublishCommand.java:75)
    at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.pasoe.PASOEInstance.publishCompressedFile(PASOEInstance.java:345)
    at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.communication.HTTPExplorerConnection.publishCompressedFile(HTTPExplorerConnection.java:1065)
    at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.pasoe.PASOEManager.publishOnServer(PASOEManager.java:161)
    at com.progress.openedge.pdt.pasoe.launch.PASOELaunchDelegate.deployLocalPF(PASOELaunchDelegate.java:439)
    at com.progress.openedge.pdt.pasoe.launch.PASOELaunchDelegate.updateDatabaseConnectionsAndReloadProperties(PASOELaunchDelegate.java:393)
    at com.progress.openedge.pdt.pasoe.launch.PASOELaunchDelegate.updateBrokerProperties(PASOELaunchDelegate.java:216)
    at com.openedge.pdt.server.launch.BrokerLaunchDelegate.updateAndStartBroker(BrokerLaunchDelegate.java:308)
    at com.openedge.pdt.server.launch.BrokerLaunchDelegate.launch(BrokerLaunchDelegate.java:122)
    at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:885)
    at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:739)
    at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:731)
    at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.startImpl2(Server.java:3556)
    at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.startImpl(Server.java:3492)
    at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server$StartJob.run(Server.java:367)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

!ENTRY com.openedge.pdt.server 4 0 2018-08-22 16:28:45.109
!MESSAGE 22-Aug-2018 16:28:31.00 ERROR [main]  One or more multi-session Agent startup failures - see Agent logfiles

#########################################

All Replies

Posted by Anil Kumar on 22-Aug-2018 10:58

Hi,

PASOE uses some of the startup parameters before starting the PASOE instance and these configurations are available in openedge.properties located in working directory (<WRKDIR>/oepas1/conf/openedge.properties). Can you please check the -pf parameter in openedge.properties file.
Also, can you please check for the availability of .pf file ProgressApplicationServerforOpenEdgefathom3-tosh.oepas1-fathom3-tosh.pf in the file system.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar

Posted by avtar.jain on 22-Aug-2018 11:09

Hi Anil

openedge.properties file looks good. Nothing to suspect. Rather then pasting entire file content, here is details for section [Appserver.SessMgr.oepas1] =

######################

[AppServer.SessMgr.oepas1]

agentLogEntryTypes=ASPlumbing,DB.Connects

agentStartupParam=-T "C:\OpenEdge\WRK11\oepas1/temp" -pf C:\OpenEdge\WRK11\oepas1\openedge/ProgressApplicationServerforOpenEdgefathom3-tosh.oepas1-fathom3-tosh.pf

updateProperties=false

brkrDebuggerEnabled=0

agentLogFile=${catalina.base}/logs/oepas1.agent.log

publishDir=C:/OpenEdge/WRK11/oepas1/openedge

########################

PF file is also available at defined place i.e.

C:\OpenEdge\WRK11\oepas1\openedge/ProgressApplicationServerforOpenEdgefathom3-tosh.oepas1-fathom3-tosh.pf

regards

Avtar

Posted by avtar.jain on 23-Aug-2018 04:13

Hi

This is my third failed attempt checking feasibility of using OE PAS

I need to take a decision on adopting best technology for development of our product

OE PAS seems to be too cumbersome to use which defies core idea behind Progress that is "Ease in development"

There is no Knowledge base entry for the error -

"MESSAGE Failed to extract zip: Exception publishing rcode for broker oepas1:" which left me clueless for last 1 month. I am keep on trying to fix the problem by uninstall+reinstall, google and progressKB etc..

Being on OE11 trial which is due to expire in 10days, I have no choice other than dumping idea of using PAS

Regards

Avtar

Posted by Tim Hutchens on 23-Aug-2018 06:04

Hi Avtar,

Regarding best technology for development, only you can make that decision because you know your product. There was a bit of a learning curve for us, but we are starting to see the benefits of PASOE vs. the "classic" Appserver. There are several things that stick out including security, deployment, performance, and scalability that make it a clear choice for us. Progress wants you to move to the latest versions/platforms, so let your Account Manager and/or Tech Support know that you're having trouble adopting the latest technology so they can get you in touch with someone who can work with you directly. The Progress Community website does a pretty good job most of the time, but in a situation like this (errors specific to your implementation with a critical timeline), you'd do best with a phone call in to Progress.

I wish I could help with your specific error. In general, I highly recommend PASOE.

Best Regards,

Tim

Posted by avtar.jain on 23-Aug-2018 06:53

Thanks TIM

Yes I agree that moving ahead with technology is right choice.

I contacted progress account 3 months ago but there was no reply other than sending bulk emails to promptly buy the product in next 10 days. Same time receiving marketing emails from 1. Progress, 2. Telerik, 3. KendoUI

Any ways here is what I sent 3 months ago -

Sent: 25 May 2018 12:18

To: 'Donovan Mandaza'

Subject: RE: KendoUIForAngularTrial

Hi Donovan,

Thanks for contacting earlier

I am currently reviewing KendoUI feasibility for our application.

For this task, I need to perform hands on exercise and observe migration possibilities.

Unfortunately it took a while to setup progress and kendoUI due to errors

But I managed to move forward with help of knowledge base documents available on site

Currently I am stuck while trying to make first demo application on Kendo UI

Not sure if I should send this to you or not.

I am hoping you can escalate this issue or send to relevant person who can assist or provide some kind of guideline to get this fixed.

Issue Details

I am following guided steps provided within Kendo UI classroom PDF which is “ExcersiceGuide.pdf” installed on local drive @

C:\progress_education\openedge\KUIB\

I managed to reach up to PART3 which is -

“Deploying the OpenEdge Data Object Services and testing them”

But can’t move ahead from Step2 on Page 21

a. In the Servers tab, select oepas1.

b. Click the Start icon. It will take a few minutes for the server to start.

Everything is started when you see the following:

I tried various fixes but all attempts fail with common error message –

!ENTRY com.openedge.pdt.server 4 0 2018-05-25 12:09:12.372

!MESSAGE Failed to extract zip: Publish directory is not defined for application oepas1 for instance oepas1

URL invoked: [View:http://localhost:0:0]

!STACK 0

com.openedge.pdt.explorer.model.ProgressExplorerException: Failed to extract zip: Publish directory is not defined for application oepas1 for instance oepas1

URL invoked: [View:http://localhost:0:0]

at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.communication.response.ResponseValidator.validateResponse(ResponseValidator.java:96)

at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.communication.command.OEMHTTPCommand.validateResponse(OEMHTTPCommand.java:261)

at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.communication.command.OEMHTTPCommand.doPublish(OEMHTTPCommand.java:167)

at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.communication.command.AppServerPublishCommand.execute(AppServerPublishCommand.java:75)

at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.pasoe.PASOEInstance.publishCompressedFile(PASOEInstance.java:345)

at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.communication.HTTPExplorerConnection.publishCompressedFile(HTTPExplorerConnection.java:1065)

at com.progress.openedge.pdt.explorer.oem.pasoe.PASOEManager.publishOnServer(PASOEManager.java:161)

at com.progress.openedge.pdt.pasoe.launch.PASOELaunchDelegate.deployLocalPF(PASOELaunchDelegate.java:439)

at com.progress.openedge.pdt.pasoe.launch.PASOELaunchDelegate.updateDatabaseConnectionsAndReloadProperties(PASOELaunchDelegate.java:393)

at com.progress.openedge.pdt.pasoe.launch.PASOELaunchDelegate.updateBrokerProperties(PASOELaunchDelegate.java:216)

at com.openedge.pdt.server.launch.BrokerLaunchDelegate.updateAndStartBroker(BrokerLaunchDelegate.java:308)

at com.openedge.pdt.server.launch.BrokerLaunchDelegate.launch(BrokerLaunchDelegate.java:122)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:885)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:739)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:731)

Thanks in advance

regards

Avtar

From: Donovan Mandaza [mailto:Donovan.Mandaza@progress.com]

Sent: 22 May 2018 14:35

To: Avtar Jain

Cc: emailtosalesforce@5er267y9zornl9zsa6d0yd0mp.3-7fseay.na60.le.salesforce.com

Subject: KendoUIForAngularTrial

Hi Avtar,

My name is Donovan Mandaza and I’m part of the pre-sales team, here to support you during your evaluation.

You probably have everything under control navigating through the website resources, but if your requirements are more sophisticated or our documentation wasn’t clear enough, it helps to have a brief call early on to tailor the support for your project.  

Which scenario would apply more to you?

Kind Regards

Donovan Mandaza

Inside Sales Representative

Posted by avtar.jain on 23-Aug-2018 06:55

Re-sending email snippet in case RICH TEXT formatting messed it up -

From: Avtar Jain Sent: 25 May 2018 12:18 To: 'Donovan Mandaza' Subject: RE: KendoUIForAngularTrial

Hi Donovan,

Thanks for contacting earlier

I am currently reviewing KendoUI feasibility for our application.

For this task, I need to perform hands on exercise and observe migration possibilities.

Unfortunately it took a while to setup progress and kendoUI due to errors

But I managed to move forward with help of knowledge base documents available on site

Currently I am stuck while trying to make first demo application on Kendo UI

Not sure if I should send this to you or not.

I am hoping you can escalate this issue or send to relevant person who can assist or provide some kind of guideline to get this fixed.

Issue Details

I am following guided steps provided within Kendo UI classroom PDF which is “ExcersiceGuide.pdf” installed on local drive @C:\progress_education\openedge\KUIB\

I managed to reach up to PART3 which is -

“Deploying the OpenEdge Data Object Services and testing them”

But can’t move ahead from Step2 on Page 21

a. In the Servers tab, select oepas1.

b. Click the Start icon. It will take a few minutes for the server to start.

Everything is started when you see the following:

I tried various fixes but all attempts fail with common error message –

!ENTRY com.openedge.pdt.server 4 0 2018-05-25 12:09:12.372

!MESSAGE Failed to extract zip: Publish directory is not defined for application oepas1 for instance oepas1

!STACK 0

com.openedge.pdt.explorer.model.ProgressExplorerException: Failed to extract zip: Publish directory is not defined for application oepas1 for instance oepas1

Thanks in advance

regards

Avtar

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 23-Aug-2018 07:02

Hi Avtar,

Donovan is your sales rep.  He isn’t a technical resource and cannot solve your problem.

Since you are using an evaluation copy of OpenEdge you need to contact PreSales Support.  Go to this link for information on contacting them ... https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/17394 when you reach them open a presales support case regarding your PASOE problem and also ask them to extend your evaluation period.

Brian Maher
Principal Engineer, Technical Support
Progress
Progress
14 Oak Park | Bedford, MA 01730 | USA
phone
+1 781 280 3075

Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn
Google+

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 23-Aug-2018 07:04

Hi Avtar,

Is it possible for you to share the machine details with us. So that we can take a look at all the configurations and then guide you with further steps. Without those details it would be difficult to pin point the exact issue.
You can directly share the machine details to me. Here is my official mail address: sanreddy@progress.com

Thanks,
Sanjeev

Posted by avtar.jain on 23-Aug-2018 07:33

thanks sanjeev

replied to your email address

regards

avtar

This thread is closed