Session Manager log for PASOE shows errors on startup

Posted by dbeavon on 12-Mar-2018 12:56

I'd love to clean up my logs in PASOE.  Whenever I look at them to troubleshoot a problem, I see errors that shouldn't be there, and are misleading because they are not real errors (based on my experience).

13:44:52.255/25 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  c.p.a.s.s.OESpringPropertySource - Could not resolve openedge.properties ABL application name for web application: oepas1
13:44:52.448/218 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  c.p.a.s.security.OEMetadataSource - restOEMetadataSource: Resolving intercept-url source file using a CATALINA_BASE/webapps file path
13:44:52.450/220 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  c.p.a.s.security.OEMetadataSource - webOEMetadataSource: Resolving intercept-url source file using a CATALINA_BASE/webapps file path
13:44:52.452/222 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  c.p.a.s.security.OEMetadataSource - apsvOEMetadataSource: Resolving intercept-url source file using a CATALINA_BASE/webapps file path
13:44:52.453/223 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  c.p.a.s.security.OEMetadataSource - soapOEMetadataSource: Resolving intercept-url source file using a CATALINA_BASE/webapps file path
13:44:52.454/224 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  c.p.a.s.security.OEMetadataSource - defaultOEMetadataSource: Resolving intercept-url source file using a CATALINA_BASE/webapps file path
13:44:52.524/294 [localhost-startStop-1] ERROR c.p.a.s.s.OESTSUserDetailsImpl - Error opening/reading CATALINA_PID file: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\logs\catalina-oepas1.pid (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)
13:44:52.527/5860 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  c.p.appserv.adapters.rest.Management - Property file C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\webapps\myappserver/WEB-INF/adapters/rest/_oepingService/runtime.props not found - Using default properties
13:44:52.529/299 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  com.progress.caf.logging.CafLogging - Unable to create InputStream for resource "caflogging.properties".
13:44:52.638/5971 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  o.a.c.m.DefaultManagementLifecycleStrategy - This CamelContext(camel) will be registered using the name: camel-4 due to clash with an existing name already registered in MBeanServer.
13:44:52.686/6019 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  com.progress.appserv.Prop - Development Server is limited to 1 agent
13:44:52.686/6019 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  com.progress.appserv.Prop - Development Server is limited to 5 concurrent requests
13:44:52.686/6019 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  c.p.appserv.IdleResourceWatchdog - Idle resource watchdog enabled - idleResourceTimeout= 10000 ms

I suppose I should be ignoring most of this, since it is WARN messages.  Let me know if any of the WARN messages are significant.

The one that I'd especially like to clean up is this :  Error opening/reading CATALINA_PID file: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\logs\catalina-oepas1.pid (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)

The error makes it sound like another instance of tomcat is running.  That is not the case, since oepas1 is the only instance, and it was not previously running.

I get the same error message in the session manager log file of every ABL application that is hosted within oepas1.  The instance is set up to run as a Windows service and I get the error whether I start from the service controller (eg. net start) or via OEE ("start as windows service" button).  

I'm running OE 11.7.2 on Windows.  Any tips would be appreciated.

All Replies

Posted by sauqad on 12-Mar-2018 13:40

I am also getting same warning messages in PAS instance log file. But, I am not getting the error message.

I have created a new PAS instance with a different location.

PAS Instance - devlpas

Location - C:\devl\pas\devlpas

Progress Version - OE 12 ESAP

There are two versions of PAS - Devl and Prod. We are using Devl version of PAS OE. I am not sure, but these warning messages could be because of the version which we are using. 

Posted by dbeavon on 12-Mar-2018 17:36

That is helpful.  The first line of your image seems to be a match for the ERROR in my log file.  I think what you are pointing out is that PSC-dev converted the bogus ERROR message to a WARN instead, only we won't see this until we upgrade from 11.7.2 to OE 12.

They also suppressed all the misleading portions of the message ("The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".)

I suppose we will have to ignore this ERROR - the same way we ignore all those warning messages.  The warnings are a little noisy, but at least they don't say "ERROR" in front of them.

Posted by dbeavon on 21-Mar-2018 07:50

It still seems a bit silly to me that, even in the OE 12 ESAP, there is a message which complains that the PASOE tomcat plugin cannot resolve the PASOE process ID.  

I assume that the generation of that error message is from code that is actually running within the context of the relevant process ID.  Isn't it counter-intuitive that the code would not know its own process ID, and that it would have to go read the devlpas "logs" folder to try and find it (and then fail)?  

Going forward, if we are going to continue to be faced with this message in PASOE 12 log files,  then perhaps we should know what it means.  Could it be just an internal bug in PASOE itself?  Is it a windows-specific thing or does it also appear in PASOE logs for linux?

I have a few theories about the message.  My theories are that it is either a windows-specific bug, or a timing-related issue where code is running prematurely, or that the error message has to do with multiple ABL applications being hosted by the same tomcat instance (a feature that seems relatively new and not totally well supported in the OEE U/I or in the PDSOE tooling.)

This thread is closed