Developer Studio / PAS Instances Confusion

Posted by brianlafertewk on 01-Mar-2018 12:45

Is there a way to get a Developer Studio Workspace to refresh the list of PASOE servers available in 11.7.2?

I'm noticing that if I have a single PASOE instance created, when I create Workspace, go into 'Preferences->Progress OpenEdge->Servers->OpenEdge Explorer Connections', add the appropriate Explorer info, when I create a new 'OpenEdge Project' and select 'Server', 'PAS for OpenEdge', 'WEB' transport, on the 'Supported servers' I will see my single PASOE instance.

Now, if I add a new PASOE instance (now having two listed), closing out the Workspace and re-opening, when I try and create another 'OpenEdge' project, the new PASOE instance isn't listed.  I've restarted the Admin Server, the machine, etc, and the list never updates.  Even if I remove all PASOE instances, the Workspace will not see the change and still thinks the PASOE instance that was there when the server list was first updated is there.

If I now create a new Workspace, and go through the same steps, I see all PASOE instances that were available when the OpenEdge Explorer Connection was created.

I have tried removing the OpenEdge Explorer Connection, but still, the Workspaces don't notice the PASOE instance changes.  I'm assuming there is a "refresh" button, or some file I can remove to get the current instance list to appear.

All Replies

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 12-Mar-2018 08:16

Hi Brian,

I would like to add some information regarding list of servers in servers view. PDS OE requires both Admin Server and Fathom are up and running to list the servers. Below are the different possible scenarios:
  1. Assuming Admin Server and Fathom are up and running before launching PDS OE:
    1. In existing workspace, PDS OE lists all the servers which are listed earlier at time of creating new workspace. If you want to update the servers list, go to Window > Preferences > Progress OpenEdge > Server > OpenEdge Explorer Connections and then “Edit Connection Profile” and then click “Create Servers & Finish”. It’ll refresh the servers view with latest available servers from OpenEdge Explorer
    2. In new workspace, PDS OE fetches all the servers from OpenEdge Explorer after launching workspace and then list the latest available servers from OpenEdge Explorer in Servers view
  2. Assuming Admin Server and Fathom are not up and running before launching PDS OE:
    1. In existing workspace, PDS OE lists all the servers which are listed earlier at time of creating new workspace. If you want to update the servers list first needs to start Admin Server and once it is up, go to Window > Preferences > Progress OpenEdge > Server > OpenEdge Explorer Connections and then “Edit Connection Profile” and then click “Create Servers & Finish”. It’ll refresh the servers view with latest available servers from OpenEdge Explorer
    2. In new workspace, first needs to start Admin Server from outside and then go to Window > Preferences > Progress OpenEdge > Server > OpenEdge Explorer Connections and then “Edit Connection Profile” and then click “Create Servers & Finish”. It’ll refresh the servers view with latest available servers from OpenEdge Explore.

I think in your case, you didn’t click on “Create Servers & Finish” button to add the server in the Servers view. PDS OE actually doesn’t create any server, it just creates a launch configuration for that particular server. You can create a new server from servers view’s context menu options (New > Server > Expand Progress Software Corporation > Select Progress Application Server for OpenEdge > Next > Click Refresh button > Select Progress Application Server for OpenEdge and Click Finish. This will create a new server under Servers view. Once a new server is created, that configuration will stay in the workspace until we removed manually.

Hope this helps,
Sanjeev

This thread is closed