Clarification about Proxy Load Balancing in PASOE (for APSV

Posted by dbeavon on 31-Jan-2018 22:16

I missed an opportunity recently to get a clear answer to this question.  I'd like to know if the APSV transport in PASOE will now fully supported in combination with a proxy load balancer. 

There is a KB that says certain transports fully support load balancing (eg. SOAP and REST) but that APSV does *not* .  Here is the KB.  https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/PASOE-with-load-balancing-getting-error-Communication-layer-message-General-Error-9998-7175  It specifically mentions version 11.5 but it doesn't make any claims about either 11.6 or 11.7.

But I think that as-of OE 11.7, we are supposed to be able to put PASOE behind a load balancer and connect to it with the APSV transport as well.  For example, here is a section of the docs that seems to say as much:

https://documentation.progress.com/output/ua/OpenEdge_latest/index.html#page/pasoe-admin%2Fconfiguring-pas-for-openedge-instances-for-proxy.html%23

In that link it seems to say that a proxy load balancer will be able to support the APSV transport so long as enableRequestChunking and useHTTPSessions are both enabled.

Am I understanding this information correctly?  If so, I really wish the KB article would be updated to say that the APSV transport *is* supported for load balancing so long as the version of OpenEdge is 11.6 and up (or whatever.)  We are very excited about the possibility of putting PASOE behind a load balancer (such as Citrix NetScaler), but the KB doesn't tell us whether Progress will support a configuration that includes a load-balancer.

Any clarification would be appreciated.  

Posted by dbeavon on 30-Jan-2019 15:12

We've been using the Citrix netscaler for load-balancing.  Any request to PASOE is identified using, in part, the connected client details (based on the client's source IP address).  The first request is assigned to one of the PASOE instances based on the current load that is distributed across all instances.  Any subsequent requests (from the same source IP address) are sent to the *same* PASOE instance as the first request.

This particular load-balancing strategy is called "persistence" in Citrix netscaler.  It uses the source IP address to ensure that client activity is continuously served by the same instance of PASOE.  More info here:

www.citrix.com/.../

All Replies

Posted by dbeavon on 30-Jan-2019 15:12

We've been using the Citrix netscaler for load-balancing.  Any request to PASOE is identified using, in part, the connected client details (based on the client's source IP address).  The first request is assigned to one of the PASOE instances based on the current load that is distributed across all instances.  Any subsequent requests (from the same source IP address) are sent to the *same* PASOE instance as the first request.

This particular load-balancing strategy is called "persistence" in Citrix netscaler.  It uses the source IP address to ensure that client activity is continuously served by the same instance of PASOE.  More info here:

www.citrix.com/.../

This thread is closed