Creating SOAP web service with PASOE

Posted by dbeavon on 03-Jan-2018 08:07

Can anyone point me to instructions (maybe a tutorial) for creating and defining a soap web service with PASOE?

I found a lot of stuff about REST on PASOE but little about SOAP.  For example, here are links to tutorials on REST for PASOE:

As near as I can tell, I'm probably supposed to follow a procedure for creating a SOAP service that is similar to how things worked with "WSA" (old-school web service adapter for classic appserver).  But that said, I am still having a hard time finding a simple tutorial.  I am familiar with classic appserver, aside from the wsa stuff.  If the new SOAP stuff in PASOE stuff is still unchanged from wsa/classic, then am I supposed to be reading these docs when building something new in PASOE?  

https://documentation.progress.com/output/ua/OpenEdge_latest/index.html#page/dvwsv/creating-openedge-soap-web-services.html

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.  I was surprised at how little I could find about SOAP web services in the context of PASOE.

Thanks David

Posted by ntwatkins on 03-Jan-2018 14:41

You are correct in that you use proxygen to create the wsm file.  You cannot create a wsm file from a compiled class.  This is much the same as if you tried to instantiate a class across the appserver boundary.  The best you can do it to create a procedure that instantiates the class and create the wsm file from the procedure.

All Replies

Posted by Irfan on 03-Jan-2018 08:15

Nothing changed for SOAP w.r.t PASOE. All you have to do is deploy the WSM file using 'deploySOAP.sh|bat' and you are good to go. For PASOE, WSM file properties like appserverURL,PROPATH and etc are not validated or not considered. All it matters is what is the SOAP Service and which remote procedure to call.

Posted by dbeavon on 03-Jan-2018 08:59

Thanks for the quick response.  I still don't know where I can go to learn more about building a SOAP transport service.  Like I said, we never actually used wsa.  We always built our own web services in C#.Net and then called classic appserver via the .Net open client.  The C# web service was little more than a "middle man".

Do I create a procedure (.p) that I compile into a .r and then use "proxygen" to create the wsm file that you mentioned?  Is there any support for cls files to build a soap service in PASOE?  I tried quite hard to google for any tutorials on this stuff, but wasn't finding very much.  I would especially like to know if there are any documented best-practices for creating reliable and well-performing soap services with PASOE.

Posted by ntwatkins on 03-Jan-2018 14:41

You are correct in that you use proxygen to create the wsm file.  You cannot create a wsm file from a compiled class.  This is much the same as if you tried to instantiate a class across the appserver boundary.  The best you can do it to create a procedure that instantiates the class and create the wsm file from the procedure.

Posted by tpavlovic on 04-Jan-2018 00:49

[quote user="dbeavon"]

Thanks for the quick response.  I still don't know where I can go to learn more about building a SOAP transport service.  Like I said, we never actually used wsa.  We always built our own web services in C#.Net and then called classic appserver via the .Net open client.  The C# web service was little more than a "middle man".

[/quote]

And this is exactly how I've been using webservices for years. And as I can see from many posts on this community lately, it's going to be that way for some more time.

This thread is closed