PAS Trial License Issue ("Progress Dev AS for OE"

Posted by dbeavon on 27-Nov-2017 23:08

Here is another PAS question.  My experience with PAS thus far has been exclusively in the context of the PDSOE installation.  I am hoping to try to work with PAS outside of PDSOE as well.

In preparation for possibly obtaining production licenses for this stuff (ie "prod as for OE"), I thought I would try to download a trial version of the standalone PAS and see if I can get it working outside the context of PDSOE.  I thought it might be a good practice experience.

So I found a 60 day eval here: https://secure.progress.com/auth/esdEval.  I installed it on Windows 2012 R2 64 bit.  And then I began to find some of the available training/tutorials, eg this one by Peter Judge:

https://community.progress.com/progress_user_groups/pug_baltic/m/mediagallery/1981/download

But as I try to use my installation, I get stuck pretty quickly.  There is no Eclipse available, and no OE Explorer.  Nothing is launched by the setup (eg. no java.exe processes are running in memory).  Despite all of this, my understanding is that PAS is in place nevertheless, and the tutorial above should not depend on either Eclipse or OEE.  In fact, the installation did put down quite a lot of stuff.  So here is what I am able to find on the system after the installation of "Progress Dev AS for OE"

* A large "caralina home" at C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\bin

* A java installation at C:\Progress\OpenEdge\jdk

* proenv is available to be used

* showcfg verifies that the license is installed.

So the first thing I do as I start through the tutorial is launch proenv and look at my environment variables.  I don't see any of the "CARALINA" stuff.  Next I run tcman env as follows and it errors out.

proenv>tcman env
CATALINA_HOME is not defined or points to an invalid server installation

At this point I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the PAS Trial License (11.7 published on Apr 3, 2017).  Perhaps the setup didn't complete properly.  I noticed that my %WRKDIR% is totally empty, and I think there is supposed to be a PAS instance in there by default.  Can someone tell me if I did something wrong?  I reinstalled that trial license twice now and it is consistently behaving the same way.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Posted by Peter Judge on 28-Nov-2017 08:24

You can work with the  PASOE instance(s) that are available with PDSOE using PDSOE, OEM/OEE or just the command line. The license doesn’t change that.

I’ll look for some extra/other materials to help walk you through some of this stuff, but in the meantime
- You don’t need PDSOE or OEE or even an Admin Server to run and work with PASOE. I start and stop and manage my Windows, dev instances almost exclusively off the command line.
- I would strongly recommend against installing PASOE as a (Windows) service, at least until you understand how to work with it. I find it complicates matters.
- A PASOE instance will not auto-start by default (unless it’s a service, but see above).  It might be autostartable via OEE/OEM.
- CATALINA_BASE is shorthand for the root directory of the instance. In a standard install, that’s c:/OpenEdge/WRK/oepas1.  Each instance has (must have) a different directory.
- CATALINA_HOME is where the Tomcat/PAS executables live. This is in $DLC/servers/pasoe/. There is one of these per Progress/OpenEdge install.

Instances are OE-version independent. If you upgrade OE, then you will need to run “tcman register” with the new version, so that the instance(s) point(s) to the correct CATALINA_HOME / $DLC

Also, take a look in $DLC/install to see if there are any errors in the openedge_tailor*.log logs. That may help.

All Replies

Posted by Akshay Guleria on 28-Nov-2017 02:54

The first thing you need is the Progress® OpenEdge® Developer Kit (using Download an evaluation product) which does not expire. Uninstall whatever limited evaluation version you have and install Developer kit. Also make sure you have the required java version installed on your machine before installation.

PDSOE will help you to create the project dir structure needed. After that you can pretty much continue developing without PDSOE. You can use Peter Judge's deep dive into web handlers pdf http://pugchallenge.org/downloads2017/284_web_handlers_deep_dive.pdf. It gives a decent overview with some comparison to the REST transport.

Below are couple of great videos and example that I have used and found very useful for developing REST API using OE.

1. Progress OpenEdge Application Available as a REST Service - www.youtube.com/watch

2. Progress OpenEdge Data Object Services - www.youtube.com/watch

3. Generic Service using web protocol for JSDO community.progress.com/.../2677

4. OpenEdge API doc - documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Note: I'm also very much interested in learning how we can develop solution without PDSOE which would make the development it platform independent. I posted this question sometime ago but no answers yet. https://community.progress.com/community_groups/openedge_development/f/19/t/35939

Posted by Peter Judge on 28-Nov-2017 08:24

You can work with the  PASOE instance(s) that are available with PDSOE using PDSOE, OEM/OEE or just the command line. The license doesn’t change that.

I’ll look for some extra/other materials to help walk you through some of this stuff, but in the meantime
- You don’t need PDSOE or OEE or even an Admin Server to run and work with PASOE. I start and stop and manage my Windows, dev instances almost exclusively off the command line.
- I would strongly recommend against installing PASOE as a (Windows) service, at least until you understand how to work with it. I find it complicates matters.
- A PASOE instance will not auto-start by default (unless it’s a service, but see above).  It might be autostartable via OEE/OEM.
- CATALINA_BASE is shorthand for the root directory of the instance. In a standard install, that’s c:/OpenEdge/WRK/oepas1.  Each instance has (must have) a different directory.
- CATALINA_HOME is where the Tomcat/PAS executables live. This is in $DLC/servers/pasoe/. There is one of these per Progress/OpenEdge install.

Instances are OE-version independent. If you upgrade OE, then you will need to run “tcman register” with the new version, so that the instance(s) point(s) to the correct CATALINA_HOME / $DLC

Also, take a look in $DLC/install to see if there are any errors in the openedge_tailor*.log logs. That may help.

Posted by dbeavon on 28-Nov-2017 16:27

It does help.  Thanks Peter.  I may give up on using that "Progress Dev AS for OE" for now, since I have no problems with the PAS installation that is part of PDSOE.

I can certainly tell that PAS has a bit of separation from the admin server and the rest of the ubroker framework... today when I was using pasman commands, I noticed that process would launch under my personal domain account instead of LocalSystem.  It was a bit surprising.

After that, OEE (running as LocalSystem vs my personal domain account) had a few minor hiccups as I recall, when bringing up the PAS instance pages (showing PAS management details).  I didn't look into them too closely, but resolved to either manage PAS consistently via OEE, or to manage it consistently via proenv scripts but *not* to interchangably go back and forth.

Posted by Matt Baker on 28-Nov-2017 16:36

OEE can get out of sync with PAS if you used command line to start/stop instead of using OEE to start/stop.  Some of this was trying not to call tcman so often from AdminServer.  This is same issue as related to the performance and CPU overhead of tcman/powershell you asked about in other thread.

Since the CPU issue was addressed in 11.7.2 by avoiding calls to tcman, the AdminServer is a lot more aggressive with polling to check on PAS running/not running.  This should be pretty much fixed now.

This thread is closed