PASOE security model is developer when it should be producti

Posted by Derek Lord on 25-Oct-2017 18:47

I have a test server with the following OE 11.7.1 products installed: -

Product Name:   OE DataServer MS SQL S

Product Name:   Progress ProdAS for OE

Using "pasman create ..."  from proenv to create my Progress Application Server created the server with the psc.as.security.model = developer.

I was expecting "production" as there is no developer product for 11.7.1 installed.

This is different behavior to 11.6.3.

Is this expected with 11.7.1?

Thanks,

Derek

All Replies

Posted by Irfan on 26-Oct-2017 09:03

Thats strange, I tried the same and it worked fine.

Product Name:   OE DataServer MS SQL S

Installation Date:   Thu Oct 26 09:32:37 2017

Product Name:   Progress ProdAS for OE

Installation Date:   Thu Oct 26 09:32:37 2017

When I created instance, then it showed me that the psc.as.secuirty.model as 'production'.

proenv>tcman.bat config psc.as.security.model

psc.as.security.model=production

Posted by Derek Lord on 26-Oct-2017 10:26

Hi Irfan,

My install was using the 11.7.1 installer on Windows Server 2016, 11.7.0 was not installed first.

Is there anything I can check to see why it is behaving like this?

Derek

Posted by Irfan on 26-Oct-2017 10:55

Darek,

Were you creating a new instance or using an older one ?

Posted by Derek Lord on 26-Oct-2017 12:28

It was a new instance, the first PASOE instance on the test machine for 11.7.1.

Posted by Derek Lord on 26-Oct-2017 12:46

If I look in the OE installation folder: C:\Progress\PSC117\servers\pasoe\conf at appserver.properties

Date Modified timestamp is: 10/4/2017 8:30am

I see:

# The PAS server & instances security policy {default|developer|production}

psc.as.security.model=developer

Looking at the same file in 11.6.3 on the same server with the same products installed it shows:

# The PAS server & instances security policy {default|developer|production}
psc.as.security.model=production

Posted by Irfan on 27-Oct-2017 07:01

Can you please do %DLC%\bin\showcfg.exe and see what versions of openedge components it mentions ?

Posted by Derek Lord on 27-Oct-2017 10:12

This is the output (with the serial and control numbers x'd out)

Configuration File:   C:\Progress\PSC117\PROGRESS.CFG

Company Name:  

Product Name:   OE DataServer MS SQL S

Installation Date:   Wed Oct  4 08:27:48 2017

User Limit:   500

Expiration Date:   None

Serial Number:   xxxxxxxxx

Control Numbers:   xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx

Version Number:   11.7            

Machine Class:   KB

Port Number:   33

Product Name:   Progress ProdAS for OE

Installation Date:   Wed Oct  4 08:27:48 2017

User Limit:   10

Expiration Date:   None

Serial Number:   xxxxxxxxx

Control Numbers:   xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx

Version Number:   11.7            

Machine Class:   KB

Port Number:   33

Posted by Derek Lord on 27-Oct-2017 10:18

When you enter the serial and control numbers during the install I always do the load (from the saved html license info).  This has all our products, including dev studio etc...  I then select the products I do not want and choose remove.  Leaving just the two I just posted.

That's the only way I could see it possibly have decided to set security as development.  But that's the way I always load the codes internally.

Just a thought...

Posted by Irfan on 27-Oct-2017 10:44

Darek,

You did the right thing and thats the way it has to work. Can you please raise a case with tech support ?

Alternatively, as you said you were on 11.7.1, if you can create a new PASOE Instance with the below command it has to create you a Prod Install PASOE Instance.

pasman create -Z prod -p <http port> -P <https port> -s <shutdown port> <instance name>

Posted by Derek Lord on 27-Oct-2017 13:54

Hi Irfan,

Creating the instance with -Z prod works, so that is good. Thank you.

Do you know if there is an issue when stopping a Progress Application Server from Progress OpenEdge Explorer.

Every time I stop the instance the Status changes to Failed rather than Not Running.

It is stopped so I am not sure why the status shows Failed, when I start it again it comes up as Running.

Derek

Posted by Irfan on 27-Oct-2017 22:40

Darek,

Not that I am aware of. Works fine for me.

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 28-Oct-2017 01:10

Hi Derek,

By any chance, PAS OE server is registered as Windows Service while installing CD image? If yes, OEM throws an error since the response returned by PAS OE server when registered as Windows Service didn’t match with the expected JSON response. Just an error is thrown, but everything seems to work.

Please tell us what is the command it is writing to “admsrvc.log” file when you try to start PAS OE server from OE Explorer?

Thanks,
Sanjeev

Posted by Derek Lord on 30-Oct-2017 10:37

Hi Sanjeev,

No, the PAS OE server is not registered as a Windows Service.

There are no errors in the admserv.log file when stopping the instance, there are two errors in the instance catalina log file:

30-Oct-2017 08:34:16.287 WARNING [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [LumberTrack] appears to have started a thread named [PropertyFileMonitor] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:

java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)

com.progress.appserv.services.properties.ubimpl.ubWatchDog.run(ubWatchDog.java:122)

30-Oct-2017 08:34:16.288 WARNING [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [LumberTrack] appears to have started a thread named [PropertyFileMonitor] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:

java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)

com.progress.appserv.services.properties.ubimpl.ubWatchDog.run(ubWatchDog.java:122)

Derek

This thread is closed