Migrating a PASOE instance from 11.6 to 11.7, shared-memory

Posted by Marko Myllymäki on 31-Aug-2017 10:23

I have just migrated one PASOE instance from 11.6.1 to 11.7.1 (Windows 7, 64bit). I read (https://community.progress.com/community_groups/openedge_general/f/26/t/33437) that the best way to do migration is to re-create the instance so I created a new instance with 11.7 OEE and redeployed the application. Everything went quite smoothly in this phase.

Then I configured security/authentication in oeablSecurity.properties and oeablSecurity.csv. We use form based authentication with oerealm. I had used this KB article for configuring our old instance: http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/How-to-configure-OERealm-authentication-with-PASOE but that article is for pre-11.7 versions. It was not too hard to find the corresponding config files and settings in the new 11.7 instance but it took several trial & error iterations, so it took some time. I hope that article gets updated to be compatible with 11.7.  

After that I was able to start our application but then I started getting errors for some rest requests (that worked ok in 11.6). Server returned error 400. In catalina log file there was an error: "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid character found in the request target". It took me a while to figure out that using curly braces in the URLs (e.g. /rest/si/Company?filter={"top":10}) caused the problem. I had to add this line into conf/catalina.properties:

tomcat.util.http.parser.HttpParser.requestTargetAllow={}

Another way would have been to escape/encode the braces in our javascript code (probably the recommended way).

Eventually I got the application running without any more errors. But I have still one more problem left: I can't use shared memory connection to the database from PASOE. From the client I can.  It seems similar to this issue: https://community.progress.com/community_groups/openedge_deployment/f/21/p/14077/51255#51255. I wonder if this is a bug or if I have missed a step in the configuration etc. Does anyone else have experiences with shared-memory connection between PASOE and DB in 11.7.1? Shared-memory connection worked in 11.6.1 Win64.

Another issue with 11.7.1 is that PASOE sometimes leaves a .pid file after shutdown and that prevents it from restarting. You have to manually delete the file before you can start the instance. According to this KB article: http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/cannot-clear-pasoe-instance-log-files-check-for-locked-files the problem should be only in Windows 10 + 11.7.0 and fixed in 11.7.1, but I have it in Windows 7 + 11.7.1.

While writing this, I realized that I had 11.7.0 before upgrading to 11.7.1 and I have also 32-bit version of 11.7.1 installed. I might try to uninstall both 11.7 versions and make a clean install with 11.7.1 64-bit and see if that changes things.

Posted by mroberts@rev.com.au on 31-Aug-2017 21:23

Hi Marko,

We ran 11.6, and are now running 11.7.1 (both 64 bit)

I have been through the same migration and experienced the same sort of issues with the documentation.

As for the shared memory connection we are not having the same issue.

We have 2 dev environments running PASOE, one shared one on a Windows Server 2012 R2, as well I am running one on my laptop running Windows 10.

For the shared one, the Admin Server and PASOE are running both from services, as a Local System account.

For my laptop, I run both the proserve for the database and the pasoe start from proenv, running both as my login account.

Both of these work shared memory.

My guess based on the issue you linked, is that maybe the PASOE and DB server might be running partially as a service, and partially as the local user, and windows security is getting in the way.  We have experienced the same symptoms using OE10.2B on customer's servers, where the Admin Server is started as a system account,. and we connect via a user account that does not have any local admin privileges.  We either get the user changed to have local admin privileges, which sometimes solves the problem, or where the local IT person doesn't come to the party, then we revert to TCP connections.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

All Replies

Posted by mroberts@rev.com.au on 31-Aug-2017 21:23

Hi Marko,

We ran 11.6, and are now running 11.7.1 (both 64 bit)

I have been through the same migration and experienced the same sort of issues with the documentation.

As for the shared memory connection we are not having the same issue.

We have 2 dev environments running PASOE, one shared one on a Windows Server 2012 R2, as well I am running one on my laptop running Windows 10.

For the shared one, the Admin Server and PASOE are running both from services, as a Local System account.

For my laptop, I run both the proserve for the database and the pasoe start from proenv, running both as my login account.

Both of these work shared memory.

My guess based on the issue you linked, is that maybe the PASOE and DB server might be running partially as a service, and partially as the local user, and windows security is getting in the way.  We have experienced the same symptoms using OE10.2B on customer's servers, where the Admin Server is started as a system account,. and we connect via a user account that does not have any local admin privileges.  We either get the user changed to have local admin privileges, which sometimes solves the problem, or where the local IT person doesn't come to the party, then we revert to TCP connections.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

Posted by Marko Myllymäki on 01-Sep-2017 00:53

Hi Mark,

you made a great guess, that was exactly the case! I had started the database with my login account and PASOE with Local System account. When I started both with Local System, the connection was successful.  

Thanks a lot!

Marko

Posted by Marko Myllymäki on 01-Sep-2017 03:15

And now I see that this info would have been in the link I included, I didn't read it carefully enough before posting my question. But thanks anyway, you saved me a lot of time.

This thread is closed