Notepad++ w/4GL support

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 24-May-2017 11:41

Notepad++ had a 3rd party update to make it ABL knowledgable. Unfortunately that extension no longer works - does anyone know of an extension that would? 

Posted by Just Test on 30-May-2017 01:59

There is also another free editor that support PROGRESS syntax and much more.

Piew is free PROGRESS 4GL/ABL code editor for Windows with some basic and additional features that support syntax highlighting. Why another editor? Sometime you don't want load whole PROGRESS environment just for small change, for source viewing or maybe you want use some features that are not available in basic PROGRESS editor. Free for personal, business or commercial use.

Read more and download: http://progress-tools.x10.mx/piew.html

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 24-May-2017 13:43

Oh yes, there is. And I think it's even better than what you had previously. You should really check 3P from Julien Caillon. It is a plugin that can be found using the built in plugin manager. Just upgrade to the latest version of N++, then upgrade the plugin manager if needed and search for 3P.

Read more about it here: jcaillon.github.io/.../

All Replies

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 24-May-2017 13:43

Oh yes, there is. And I think it's even better than what you had previously. You should really check 3P from Julien Caillon. It is a plugin that can be found using the built in plugin manager. Just upgrade to the latest version of N++, then upgrade the plugin manager if needed and search for 3P.

Read more about it here: jcaillon.github.io/.../

Posted by marian.edu on 25-May-2017 12:24

Fully aware it’s a 4GL we’re talking about (feel free to call it ABL) and there is no shortage on keywords or anything but seriously… serialization seems to be more fun that error handling nowadays, we have binary vs json serialization, one serialize everything by default while the other only public properties. To serialize as json private/protected a ’serialize’ keyword was added, to stop serializing certain things as binary the ’non-serializable’ keyword was added in 11.7… we have xml-node-name and serialize-name (clearly that refers to json serialization) and wait ’serialize-hidden’ and xml-node-type ‘hidden’.

I’m probably just a bit confused, all this must be crystal clear for everyone so will try to get back to it once in a beer free environment :)

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
+40 740 036 212

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 25-May-2017 19:39

Marian - I think you're answering the wrong question. :)

Posted by Just Test on 30-May-2017 01:59

There is also another free editor that support PROGRESS syntax and much more.

Piew is free PROGRESS 4GL/ABL code editor for Windows with some basic and additional features that support syntax highlighting. Why another editor? Sometime you don't want load whole PROGRESS environment just for small change, for source viewing or maybe you want use some features that are not available in basic PROGRESS editor. Free for personal, business or commercial use.

Read more and download: http://progress-tools.x10.mx/piew.html

Posted by ezequielmontoya on 31-May-2017 11:52

I use Piew as a complement to AppBuilder and it's great.

Posted by Pierre Blitzkow on 31-May-2017 12:35

Some one know if I can use Piew with Totvs (Datasul) ?

Posted by Jean-Christophe Cardot on 02-Jun-2017 07:43

Does anybody uses ABHack as a complement to Appbuilder?

http://www.oehive.org/abhack

It's what I'm using (disclaimer: I'm the maintainer ;) ) and cannot use Eclipse because of this. Not "intelligent" enough.

Posted by jankeir on 02-Jun-2017 07:57

Yes, I still use ABHack for quick tests because I'm faster with it, but I think I'm the only one here who does, most of our developers have switched to PDSOE (I did too for everything that's OO and for navigating pieces of code, but I AppBuilder+AbHack open for actually looking at the DB, writing small tests,...) .

Posted by cverbiest on 02-Jun-2017 10:14

Some of our developers use AbHack,

personally I use PDSOE + OEDT . OEDT helps with a lot of PDSOE's shortcomings.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 02-Jun-2017 10:22

[quote user="Jean-Christophe Cardot"]

Does anybody uses ABHack as a complement to Appbuilder?

http://www.oehive.org/abhack

It's what I'm using (disclaimer: I'm the maintainer ;) ) and cannot use Eclipse because of this. Not "intelligent" enough.

[/quote]

I'm sure a lot of this missing "intelligence" has been fixed with https://www.hh-berlin.de/oedt/

Posted by vvvvvv vvvvvvvvv on 09-Jun-2017 05:59

I cant record history of notepad++ from mobile with mobile recorder, what i need to do?

Posted by keithg on 10-Jun-2017 08:16

I have found both PIEW and 3P valuable in my work.  

I find that PIEW is an easy installation and loads quickly.  Database schema awareness can be added if desired.  

3P is more comprehensive but takes some time and fiddling to get completely set up to make use of all of the capabilities.  Importantly for us, 3P can be annoyingly laggy over a remote desktop connection.  But it really is an incredible collection of features for 4GL programmers.  I find it useful to keep two separate Notepad++ installations--one that has 3P added and one without.  

If you are dealing with old Windows installations, their older versions (or lack of!) DotNet libraries can prevent 3P from working.  Newer versions of PIEW, as well, may have problems with older Windows versions.  I always keep my currently-installed versions on hand as fallbacks when installing newer versions exactly for these reasons.

Posted by onnodehaan on 10-Jun-2017 14:09

I use good (very) old ED4W... fast editor with great editing options

This thread is closed