Get exceptions(tcmanager) when starting the Progress application server - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community

Get exceptions(tcmanager) when starting the Progress application server

Forum

Get exceptions(tcmanager) when starting the Progress application server

This question is answered

I can't start the Progress application server get some errors. I have not seen this errors before in 11.6 & 11.6.3

Starting from PDS:

Problem in OpendEdge Explorer: Failed to start pas instance UNIDoc
URL invoked: http://localhost:9090/oem/containers/laptop325/pas/localhost:resource.openedge.pas.UNIDoc

Starting from tcman:

proenv>tcman.bat start
Exception: You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
in tcmanager at line :
Exiting with fatal exception condition

Setting on debugging in tcman.bat removed comment lines:

proenv>set CATALINA_HOME=C:\Program Files\PSC\dlc117\servers\pasoe
proenv>set CATALINA_BASE=C:\temp\prgrswrk\dlc117-64bit\UNIDocTESTLOC
proenv>if "" == "" goto gottmp
proenv>if defined CATALINA_HOME goto testexist
proenv>if exist "C:\Program Files\PSC\dlc117\servers\pasoe" goto testps
proenv>for %X in (Powershell.exe) do (set pwrshell=%~$PATH:X )
proenv>(set pwrshell=C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe )
proenv>if defined pwrshell goto mkpath
proenv>set PRGDIR=C:\Program Files\PSC\dlc117\servers\pasoe\bin\tcmanager.ps1
proenv>set EXECUTABLE=PowerShell.exe -executionpolicy bypass -File "C:\Program Files\PSC\dlc117\servers\pasoe\bin\tcmanager.ps1"
proenv>if exist "C:\Program Files\PSC\dlc117\servers\pasoe\bin\tcmanager.ps1" goto javacfg
proenv>if exist "C:\Program Files\PSC\dlc117\servers\pasoe\bin\javacfg.bat" (call "C:\Program Files\PSC\dlc117\servers\pasoe\bin\javacfg.bat" )
in tcmanager at line :

Setting on debugging in javacfg.bat:

proenv>PowerShell.exe -executionpolicy bypass -File "C:\Program Files\PSC\dlc117\servers\pasoe\bin\tcmanager.ps1" tcman start
in tcmanager at line :

I really don't know what I have to check or to do now.

Verified Answer
  • Yes, navigate to your PAS project and then under logs you will see that there is a log file pasoeStart.log with the content

"pasoeStart: Cannot clear PASOE instance log files: check for locked files."

If that is the case remove the file catalina-<project>.pid in the logs directory and the PAS will start again.

• Yes, if you check in the PAS instance logs directory you will see a file pasoeStart.log with the content:

pasoeStart: Cannot clear PASOE instance log files: check for locked files.

If that is the case remove the file catalina-<PAS-Project>.pid and restart you PAS this will solve the problem.

All Replies
  • Ensure that the latest available powershell is installed.

What OS are you running?

Did this just start happening (i.e. was the same install working before)?

• Thank you for the response.

Powershell version normally latest:
      PS C:\windows\system32> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion
      Major  Minor  Build  Revision
      -----  -----  -----  --------
      5      0      10240  17113

Windows OS:
      Windows 10 enterprise
      64 bit

Hardware:
      Surface
      Touch

Some analyse:
      It can be coincidence but if I create a PAS instance it works all day.
      There where already been REST data objects and catalog files been deployed.
      Then I restart my device and then the instance won't start anymore.

Maybe I have to take a copy of the PAS instance before restarting my computer so I can compare what's changing in the files after a restart. A slight chance that it won't start anymore that I am asking myself I didn't stop the PAS before restarting my device so I will check this all tomorrow afternoon.

• Kevin,

Are you using the Creators Update for Windows 10?

Either way, you need to open an official case with tech support.

Brian

• I am not using the creators update.

But have now created a case with tech support :)

• Kevin, did you get this resolved? I am having the same exact issue. If I create a new paseo instance it will run all day. After reboot it no longer runs. If I create another new instance it will run all day.

• Yes, navigate to your PAS project and then under logs you will see that there is a log file pasoeStart.log with the content

"pasoeStart: Cannot clear PASOE instance log files: check for locked files."

If that is the case remove the file catalina-<project>.pid in the logs directory and the PAS will start again.

• Yes, if you check in the PAS instance logs directory you will see a file pasoeStart.log with the content:

If that is the case remove the file catalina-<PAS-Project>.pid and restart you PAS this will solve the problem.

• Yes, if you navigate to the logs directory of your PAS instance open pasoeStart.log it should have next content:

If this is the case remove the file catalina-<PAS-project>.pid under the logs directory and then restart the PAS.

• There is a known issue with pasoe and Windows 10.

Logged as issue PSC00357329.

http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/cannot-clear-pasoe-instance-log-files-check-for-locked-files

Manually shut down the instance before shutting down Windows then it will automatically start after boot.

Or after it fails to start remove the 0 byte catalina-<instance>.pid file in logs directory.

• Yep, I worked with Paul in TS last night and he instructed me to removed the pid. Once I did that it worked but after reboot same issue. I added to my shutdown scripts to shutdown the instance and that seems to do the trick.

Thanks Kevin and Torben.