What's your favorite missing editor feature? - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community

What's your favorite missing editor feature?

Forum

What's your favorite missing editor feature?

• In doing a bunch of presentations at Exchange, Progress Technology World in Brussels and visiting various customers to discuss OpenEdge Architect adoption I have been hearing a common theme.

"I really like OpenEdge Architect - if only the editor did......." or, "My favorite editor has this feature I use all the time - can we have that in OpenEdge Architect"

We would love to hear from everyone what editor features you think are missing that you use frequently with your current favorite editor and consider basic functionality. Such feedback will help us prioritize future functionality to hopefully focus initially on things that will have the biggest impact on developer day to day productivity, as well as helping to remove barriers to adoption of OpenEdge Architect. If somebody suggests something you agree with - chime in with your approval to help support the suggestion with additional justification, use cases, etc.

So, for example, I keep hearing block editing is important...

TIA, Ant

• For a quick answer, please check: http://www.psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?entryID=1886

Syntax completion is by far the feature I miss the most. The sole ability to complete table and field names is - if it works - by far not enough. Well while adopting the complexity and grown nature of the ABL to the AST might make it hard to provide complete syntax completion for all ABL statements.

So at least syntax completion for OOABL classes, methods and properties including polymorphism for constructors and methods (yes, I want to see multiple combinations of paramters as in the Visual Studio) would be on the top of my wish list.

Mike

• For a quick answer, please check http://www.psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?entryID=1886

I agree with that!

As Mike already expressed his desire for better syntax completion I'm sure it will be taken care of and I can choose something else:

I really miss ++ to expand, so that when I type

iCounter++

it becomes

iCounter = iCounter +

Should be an easy thing to implement

• For a quick answer, please check: http://www.psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?entryID=1886

I have to agree.. This is a fantastic tool and the features Sebastien has implemented would be a welcome addition to Architect..

And, yeah, block editing is really missed from the old P4GL Editor (V9+).

I also miss the CTRL-ALT-V multi clipboard functionality - such a useful tool, IMO..

• I know, I already had my wish, but maybe somebody else would like to have this as well: Synchronization between the highlighted row in the text editor and the outline view. So, when I scroll through we source code of a file, the outline view reflects the current position as well.

• First let me say that doing new projects with the new language features is where OEA will take its place. My comments are more related to dealing with existing (V8-V9) projects.

Checking syntax in the Appbuilder was fairly easy: it only checked the syntax for the internal procedure or function working on.With Architect, “check syntax” checks the entire source: very handy for small programs, time consuming for big ones however.I'm not saying I don't like the fact that the source is entirely checked (it's by far less easy to save with unintended errors), but with some "old style" ABL it performs poorly.

Decent Preprocessor support is another feature missing. The AST isn't able to interpret these correctly for instance.

Function forward declaration needs to be done by hand in OEA.

More on the Architect level (not just the Editor): every project needs its own database connections: option to share a single prowin32.exe in the Editor could limit the database resources required in the workspace

David

• A few people have mentioned ABHack - does anybody have a summary of what that does that OpenEdge Architect does not do?

Thanks, Ant

• Hi Anthony. I suggest you invite Sebastien Lacroix for a WebEx meeting. He was our guest at the German PUG meeting and everybody was impressed by his presentation!

ABHack offers syntax completion for

- DB Tables, Fields (in a much more intelligent way than OEA)

- Temp-Table fields

- Internal procedures names of Persistent Procedures / Super Procedures

- OOABL Methods and Properties

- Parameters to procedures, internal procedures, methodes, ...

- Widget Methods and Properties

- Tooltip query analyzer

• ... and ABHack stores all relevant information in a Progress DB for faster access/load time than the AST parser of OEA.

• Well, OEA does allmost everything that ABHack does. But...

ABHack is proactive - it reacts quicker and offers last referenced buffer (and there is few other nice things about it). It just pops out, take a guess and offers me what I want to write. OEA auto-complete is not allways automatically triggered and offers me too many options. Also, sometimes it doesn't color the code accurately - DB field names are left black.

Second feature that I miss the most is single comment. Ok, single comment on blank lines is possible with macro, but I want to type // and expect an existing line to be surrounded with comment marks.

Also, TAB doesn't allways act as expected and it would be nice to have matching END automatically aligned with start of the block.

I'm not sure that I'm not missing somethhing with next two features. Maybe they are available, but I just don't get it:

First of them is drag'n'drop of code. It is possible in Eclipse Europa but I can't get the debugger running in this version. And the next version (OpenEdge 10.1C, at this time beta) is also based on Eclipse 3.2...

Last missing feature related directly to the editor is square select. I really got used to it in Procedure editor and it saves time when writing "big" assigns. Is there any 3rd party plugin that allows last two described features?

• The use of the Tab key works quite differently. Yes you can specify if it inserts a tab or spaces and if so how many spaces. However, the appbuilder is intelligent enough to know if you are in position 2 and hit tab it only inserts 2 spaces (assuming a 4 char tab stop). In OEA tab key always inserts 4 spaces regardless of the current cursor position. For companies where there are standards on indenting, etc. for code readability this makes the use of the tab key quite inefficient.

Block editing with CTRL-B. In AB you could select a block of code and copy/cut paste, etc. I REALLY miss this feature which is so nice to flip the contents on the right side of an assign back to the left, etc.

As for the multi clipboard, there is an excellent eclipse PlugIn that i have been using for a couple of years that is simple to install and works much like the CTRL-ALT-V in AB.

-Carson

• The use of the Tab key works quite differently.

Yes you can specify if it inserts a tab or spaces

and if so how many spaces. However, the appbuilder

is intelligent enough to know if you are in position

2 and hit tab it only inserts 2 spaces (assuming a 4

char tab stop). In OEA tab key always inserts 4

spaces regardless of the current cursor position.

For companies where there are standards on

indenting, etc. for code readability this makes the

use of the tab key quite inefficient.

You can change the Tab key behaviour yourself: Windows/Preferences/OpenEdge Architect/Editor. You can use tabs or any number of spaces.

-- peter

• You can change the Tab key behaviour yourself:

Windows/Preferences/OpenEdge Architect/Editor. You

can use tabs or any number of spaces.

The problem isn't the number of tabs / spaces, but that the editor knows which column it's in and only inserts enough tabs/spaces to get to the next tab stop.

• The problem isn't the number of tabs / spaces, but

that the editor knows which column it's in and only

inserts enough tabs/spaces to get to the next tab

stop.

Isn't that just standard Tab behaviour? The first time you press tab it takes you to the next tab stop, and thereafter to each tab stop?

-- peter

• Isn't that just standard Tab behaviour? The first

time you press tab it takes you to the next tab stop,

and thereafter to each tab stop?

Yes, but what the author wrote was:

In OEA tab key always inserts 4 spaces regardless of the current cursor position.

According to this author, OEA puts in 4 spaces regardless of position.