How to solve Exponential notation issue on dataset exportati

Posted by Eduardo Aceves Ledezma on 24-Oct-2016 16:22

Hi Guys!

First of all, I have to thank you. This forum is very useful to me since I'm a beginner programmer with ABL and it's letting me solve a lot of issues.

Right now, I have a problem exporting and re-importing a JSON from a Dataset. When I export a decimal field of a temp-table I always keep getting an exponential notation on the JSON result (Which is alright, since it's an standard for numeric fields). But, if I try to import that JSON to the same dataset, I'm getting the following error:

Invalid character in numeric input E
Unable to convert JSON to native data type for field

As far as I've checked, the ABL processor doesn't supports this kind of notation to convert it to a decimal data type, but I'll like to know if there's any other kind of Workaround than processing the JSON string to remove that notation and then importing it to the dataset since it's an extra and kind of unnecessary work or, if it's an issue that will be solved in a near service pack / version update.

Regards! 

Posted by Robin Brown on 25-Oct-2016 10:24

Hi Eduardo,

As you've noted, the ABL does not support scientific notation for a decimal field or variable.  You'd need to treat the field as a JSON string/CHAR and convert it to decimal.

We have no plans currently to change this behavior.  Please feel free to log and enhancement request.

Regards,

Robin

All Replies

Posted by Robin Brown on 25-Oct-2016 10:24

Hi Eduardo,

As you've noted, the ABL does not support scientific notation for a decimal field or variable.  You'd need to treat the field as a JSON string/CHAR and convert it to decimal.

We have no plans currently to change this behavior.  Please feel free to log and enhancement request.

Regards,

Robin

This thread is closed