What's the use of the ASSIGN statement for simple variables - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community

What's the use of the ASSIGN statement for simple variables

Forum

What's the use of the ASSIGN statement for simple variables

This question is not answered

Hi,

We have a discussion going on here.

While it is clearly documented that grouping assignments into a single ASSIGN statement is useful for database field assignments, I can't find a definitive answer for simple variable/temp-table field assignments.

While we have a coding convention here to always use the ASSIGN keyword and group assignments, some people start to diverge from this, thinking it's obsolete...

What's the definitive answer on that?

All Replies
  • So my view on this is that there iso such thing as negligible performance loss.

Every ms counts in the real world and there is no excuse why the ABL compler should not optimize code like every other compiler in the world already does (and with good reason).

Some people here think that this doesn't make an impact on real world application performance and maybe they are right.

The Assign optimisation alone will not produce a huge impact.

But this is only one of many many things the compiler can and should optimize.

For everyone that shares my point of view, i create a new idea so people can vote for this.

community.progress.com/.../add_compiler_optimizing