GUID or not? - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community
 Forum

GUID or not?

• @peter: there is no problem with base64-encode(generate-uuid) either. the problem is with how the result of base64-encode is used.

• Meaning the case-sensitive part or something else?

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• meaning that the base-64-encode function returns a mixed-case value (as it should) and that value is then misused by treating it as case-insensitive, which leads to errors.

• OK, fine.  I personally have no problem [now] recognizing that the cost of the shorter string is needing to be careful about being case-sensitive everywhere it is used.

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• Interesting article. Does it also apply to OpenEdge when it says "most databases store rows in what's known as a clustered index, meaning that the rows in a table are actually stored on disk in a sorted order, usually based on a primary key value"? As far as I know this is true when loading an OpenEdge database but does OpenEdge store records physically on disc based on the primary key?

• See recent discussions on the peg.

-------------------------------------------------------

On 6/4/14 2:39 AM, "Stefan Houtzager" wrote:

>Has the possibity to mark an index as clustered in a progress db been considered bij psc by the way?

it has been discussed in the past but not seriously considered as there have been higher priority things to do.  afaik, no one has mentioned it in recent times.

regards, gus

--------------------------------------------------------

Kind regards,

Stefan Houtzager

Houtzager ICT consultancy & development

www.linkedin.com/in/stefanhoutzager

• Sorry, don't have those posts and the most recent on the website is from 2009 ...

• Sent off line.

• I can recommend the peg. You are not obliged to pay anymore and there are very interesting discussions there. Moreover the peg is independent (and that has proved to be important).

• Interestingly enough you still sneak around here? Can’t be such a bad place then…!

Von: agent_008_nl [mailto:bounce-agent_008_nl@community.progress.com]
    Gesendet: Dienstag, 17. Juni 2014 09:06
    An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
    Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] GUID or not?

Reply by agent_008_nl

I can recommend the peg. You are not obliged to pay anymore and there are very interesting discussions there. Moreover the peg is independent (and that has proved to be important).

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Architect of the SmartComponent Library and WinKit

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• It's a very good place. You remember the incident where a psc employer sent me an invitation off the line to call him at his office, questioning the relevance of the content of some of my messages on the architecture forum here. A clear attempt to censor me. It never happened again (after I made the reaction public on the peg, but I don't know if that was the cause).

• I do remember. And I am with the many folks that does very, very well understand Jean's action there.

If "agent_008" with no further personal information would post uncommented (so absolutely no added value) links to competitors websites, I would probably do the same.

Architect of the SmartComponent Library and WinKit

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• Still posting them. Postgres f.e. is a competitor too. You can learn from competitors. I have the impression you are almost a progress employee, of the wrong kind, more "loyal" than some psc employees themselves (cool aid drinker others would call you). You get me a bit furious again Mike, you're so biased and political. There a couple of other messages of people that were *not* with you at that time. No added value for you does not mean no added value for everyone. You're big, but not that big. And I'm not afraid of you like others maybe.

I'll refrain myself of further reacting on all negative reactions that will follow here. The matter has been handled already.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Bascom  via peg.com Jan 15

to peg

It was not a "link only" post.  It was clearly labelled and even a cursory look at the link itself clearly shows that it is probably relevant to the topic.

The post (community.progress.com/.../8809.aspx) in its entirety:

> Making the best of MDD

>

> read this interview with the mendix cto:

>

> modeling-languages.com/coffee-johan-den-haan-mendix

I often follow Stefan's links and have found some of them quite interesting.  I appreciate that he doesn't spend a lot of time trying to influence my opinions about the content of the link but rather just says what it is and puts it out there as something to consider.

I didn't find this one particularly fascinating but I have a hard time seeing how anyone at Progress could see it as inappropriate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Gus Bjorklund  via peg.com Jan 15

to peg

On 1/15/14 3:35 PM, "Tom Bascom"  wrote:

>I have a hard time

>seeing how anyone at Progress could see it as inappropriate.

me too.

regards,

gus

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Bascom Jan 15

I get a lot of spam.  That post doesn't look anything like spam.  I'd share some but PEG, as we all know, aggressively filters spam.  Notice how even PEG has not filtered this message.

Let me refresh your memory.  The post (community.progress.com/.../8809.aspx) in its entirety:

> Making the best of MDD

>

> read this interview with the mendix cto:

>

> modeling-languages.com/coffee-johan-den-haan-mendix

The post title says that it is about "MDD".  That topic seems, to me anyway, a perfectly appropriate topic for the forum.

The URL clearly and in plain English says that it is about modeling languages and "mendix".  Which matches Stefan's description of what he is asking people to read.

The content comes from outside progress.com.  Maybe that bothers someone at Progress but, personally, I value opinions and ideas that differ from my own.  Even when they are wrong.  If nothing else they give me an opportunity to enumerate the reasons why they are wrong ;)  But I like it better when I see a new idea or learn that, actually, I was wrong and some other approach has advantages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Bascom via peg.com Jan 15

to peg

Censorship isn't just removing content.  It is also about discouraging people from saying certain things.  Having a phone call to discuss "alternative approaches" is kind of intimidating if you ask me.  It sounds like corporate-speak for "clean up your act or else".

On the surface it all sounds very innocent and harmless.  Until your boss comes around to your desk.  (Maybe you've never had someone "reach out" to your boss because they didn't like something you posted online.  Clean living will do that for you...)

Now that isn't exactly what is happening here -- but it is easy (for me anyway) to see some parallels.

Not all censorship is bad.  For instance I'm perfectly ok with Greg making sure that we don't get spam.  And I think it is perfectly ok for Progress to remove any crude and unprofessional sorts of postings.  I'm even ok with them taking down thinly disguised competitor advertisements and such.

But I don't see this as even bordering on any of that.  It merely mentions another company with products in what seems like more of a complimentary than a competitive niche and the article itself mostly talks about the advantages of that approach.  Material which I would *hope* that Progress marketing and development people might want to spend some quality time thinking about.  It's not my particular cup of tea but I can see how Progress might want to be thinking about that kind of stuff.

It's not much different than pointing out that certain companies with sailboats have some very interesting database features that might be fun to have in OpenEdge.  If I posted something about that I wouldn't expect an invitation to discuss alternative approaches to my posting habits -- I'd expect something more like "great idea! we'll get right on it" or (more likely) "we thought about that and here's our approach..." or (most likely) "tell us about your use-case...".

Is it Friday yet?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

• no it's not Friday. It is time for you guys to get back to work.

• The key issue, Stefan, is that you never contacted Jean to find out what he was actually thinking.  You based your response entirely on what you thought he might be thinking, what motivations he might have.  All of the PEG reactions were based on an idea which actually had no basis in reality.  There was never any intention to censor.,  But, that is the kind of thing that happens when you assume what someone else means and don't do them the courtesy of at least listening to what they have to say.

PEG has has its incidents too, by the way.