AppServer .NET Core

Posted by victoralves on 25-Mar-2020 04:12

Hello,

I need to replace an application in .NET Framework for .NET Core.

Are there components similar to DLLs (Progress.o4glrt and Progress.Messages) for the consumption of AppServer or PASOE using .NET Core in versions 11 and 12?

I would not like to call the service using REST calls, I would like to consume directly on the AppServer.

All Replies

Posted by Laura Stern on 25-Mar-2020 13:01

I assume you're talking about an .NET OpenClient application.  Sorry, but no.  We do not yet have an o4glrt, etc that is built with .NET Core.  We are actively looking into doing that.  But it is not available in any release yet.

Posted by Matt Baker on 25-Mar-2020 13:03

Hi Victoralves,

The .NET open client does not officially support .NET Core.  You can try creating a .NET application and add the System.Configuration and System.data packages you can fetch using nuget.  There have been reports of it working under .NET Core, but no official support.

Official support is in the backlog, but we haven't gotten to it yet.

mattB

Posted by Matt Baker on 25-Mar-2020 13:14

Victor,

I'd ask that you go to the OpenEdge ideas section and vote for this feature and add your comments about what you are trying to do.

https://openedge.ideas.aha.io/

Posted by dbeavon on 25-Mar-2020 13:34

Have you tried it yet?   You may be able to get it working on .Net core 3 or later.   I would recommend using an intermediate .Net standard library to interact with the Progress.o4glrt (openclient stuff) .  Then use your standard library from the .Net core application.

This was working for me thanks to a lot of heavy-lifting by Microsoft.  See the blog:

devblogs.microsoft.com/.../

Section : "Reference .NET Framework libraries from .NET Standard"

There have been several discussions about this already.  See:

community.progress.com/.../56089

community.progress.com/.../please_allow_net_openclient_api_to_be_used_from_within_a_net_standard_library_running_on_either_net_core_or_net_framework

This didn't initially work at all.  But once .Net core 3 came out I was able to get things working.  This was thanks to Microsoft and the evolution of the .Net ecosystem.  (Prior to .Net core 3 you would encounter strange issues related to the unnecessary use of System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException in Progress.o4glrt).

You will continue to generate your strongly-typed proxies the standard way (with Proxygen against the .Net framework).  But you should be able to reference these assemblies from a .Net standard class library.  And at runtime everything should work too (on .Net core).  As Matt said, any problems you encounter in this configuration will not be fully supported by Progress.  In order to get support you will probably need to recreate your problems in a .Net Framework client application first.  As far as I know, Progress has not started to formally support either the .Net core or .Net standard.

Posted by bakkirona on 07-Apr-2020 21:52

As I see there is no answer...

Posted by Matt Baker on 07-Apr-2020 23:25

Bikkirona,

Suggest you head over to the CVP section, sign the NDA, so we can discuss this in more detail if you want.

This thread is closed