proutil without prompt

Posted by dbeavon on 13-Jan-2020 18:18

I'm trying to prepare/package a database for submission to tech support. 

I just want to remove the unnecessary data out of the database but that is turning out to be a full day effort.  I'm learning much, much more than I ever wanted to know about proutil truncate area/bi/idxbuild/tablemove/prostrct/list/yada/yada/yada.

I've read about a dozen KB's related to proutil and prostrct, so my apologies if this wasn't answered in one of them.

There is a lot of stuff to truncate out of the database and I wanted to automate.  But the "truncate area" command is pausing for a couple seconds before asking:

Are you sure you want to truncate storage area "XYZ"  (y/n)

How do I force the command to proceed?  Am I supposed to redirect stdin?

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 13-Jan-2020 18:30

The delay may be due to truncating the DB and then growing it again when the DB is opened.  A while back when I did something similar to script such a process of several area truncations, I first did a proutil -C truncate bi -bi 32 (set a small BI cluster size) so that the repeated DB opens would go a lot faster.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 13-Jan-2020 18:24

> How do I force the command to proceed?  Am I supposed to redirect stdin?

Yes.  Eg.:

echo y | proutil sports -C truncate area "Customer Index Area"

All Replies

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 13-Jan-2020 18:24

> How do I force the command to proceed?  Am I supposed to redirect stdin?

Yes.  Eg.:

echo y | proutil sports -C truncate area "Customer Index Area"

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 13-Jan-2020 18:30

The delay may be due to truncating the DB and then growing it again when the DB is opened.  A while back when I did something similar to script such a process of several area truncations, I first did a proutil -C truncate bi -bi 32 (set a small BI cluster size) so that the repeated DB opens would go a lot faster.

Posted by dbeavon on 13-Jan-2020 23:00

Thanks for the tips.

This thread is closed