PDSOE ProSpy

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 30-Apr-2018 10:17

Is it possible to get the ProSpy menu item in 64-bit PDSOE to work?  When I try to run it I get an error that it only runs in the 32-bit GUI client.  I also have 32-bit OE Studio installed so I can configure a project to use the 32-bit AVM.

I can invoke Pro*Spy Plus from OE Studio.  Just wondering if the "ProSpy" version in PDSOE is newer or different (or works at all).

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 30-Apr-2018 11:19

Hi Rob,

ProSpy and ProSpy Plus are the same in current bits.  Once upon a time there was a ProSpy which worked only for ADM1 objects.  This required hooks in the ADM to handle the logging.

At some point ProSpy Plus was created to work independently from the ADM and it was named ProSpy Plus. I think at some point the Plus was simply dropped for the new implementation.

It's probably a bug that ProSpy is still offered in the 64Bit instance of Dev Studio.  This uses a 32bit ActiveX control and cannot run in a 64bit environment.

This shouldn't prevent you from capturing ProSpy events in a 64bit environment and then using the 32Bit ProSpy to view the log though.

When the START button is pressed in ProSpy it simply sets SESSION:EXECUTION-LOG = TRUE and when you press the STOP button it sets SESSION:EXECUTION-LOG = FALSE.  When this latter action is done a file is generated into the working directory named proexec.log.

The proexec.log should be portable between sessions and can be opened and viewed by 32Bit ProSpy.

I hope this helps.

Ken Mc

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 30-Apr-2018 10:32

I guess what you’re asking is whether a 64-bit PDSOE can run code with a 32-bit exe?

You can add a run config to do that, but it’d not be in the standard menu.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 30-Apr-2018 11:01

> I guess what you’re asking is whether a 64-bit PDSOE can run code with a 32-bit exe?  You can add a run config to do that...

I did.  ;)  It works.

What I'm asking is whether the menu item OpenEdge | General ProTools | ProSpy in 64-bit PDSOE works at all, and if so, how.  

I have a project with a run config that specifies the use of the 32-bit AVM.  I can use it to run my code in prowin32.exe; no problem.  But I don't see a way to use the PDSOE ProSpy with the 32-bit AVM.

Also, I'd like to know if the PDSOE version ("ProSpy") is actually different from the OES version ("Pro*Spy Plus").  The fact that it was renamed and it has a new icon suggests to me that maybe the code was changed too.  If it is identical then the above doesn't really matter.  I'll just continue to invoke it from OES.

Posted by Peter Judge on 30-Apr-2018 11:10

When I run ProSpy from PDSOE I get an error about ProSpy Plus only being allowed to run in 32-bit mode .  IIRC, this is because of the OCX’s that ProSpy uses.

So I’m not sure there is a difference. But you may want to get confirmation from TS on this – I could well be missing something here.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 30-Apr-2018 11:16

Peter,

You are correct. Pro*Spy Plus uses a tree view OCX which does not have a 64-bit version.

Brian Maher
Principal Engineer, Technical Support
Progress
Progress
14 Oak Park | Bedford, MA 01730 | USA
phone
+1 781 280 3075

Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn
Google+

ProgressNext2018_Email_Signature

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 30-Apr-2018 11:19

Hi Rob,

ProSpy and ProSpy Plus are the same in current bits.  Once upon a time there was a ProSpy which worked only for ADM1 objects.  This required hooks in the ADM to handle the logging.

At some point ProSpy Plus was created to work independently from the ADM and it was named ProSpy Plus. I think at some point the Plus was simply dropped for the new implementation.

It's probably a bug that ProSpy is still offered in the 64Bit instance of Dev Studio.  This uses a 32bit ActiveX control and cannot run in a 64bit environment.

This shouldn't prevent you from capturing ProSpy events in a 64bit environment and then using the 32Bit ProSpy to view the log though.

When the START button is pressed in ProSpy it simply sets SESSION:EXECUTION-LOG = TRUE and when you press the STOP button it sets SESSION:EXECUTION-LOG = FALSE.  When this latter action is done a file is generated into the working directory named proexec.log.

The proexec.log should be portable between sessions and can be opened and viewed by 32Bit ProSpy.

I hope this helps.

Ken Mc

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 30-Apr-2018 11:19

Thanks Peter & Brian.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 30-Apr-2018 11:26

Hi Ken,

That helps a lot! The piece I was missing was what the UI does, i.e. toggling session:execution-log.

Thanks!

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 30-Apr-2018 11:27

Thanks also to Peter and Brian for responding.  The forum seems to have eaten my earlier post where I thanked you.  I got this message for some reason:

"You have posted to a forum that requires a moderator to approve posts before they are publicly available."

This thread is closed