OEDK Classroom Edition installation problem

Posted by joey eisma on 28-Oct-2015 17:22

hi!

just recently download the classroom edition. when i run setup, it shows the Preparing Setup screen and then closes. no errors. 

anyone had the same experience? how did you address?

joey on win7 64bit.

All Replies

Posted by kronosoft on 29-Oct-2015 03:40

I have the same issue on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Posted by Kevin Aspindle on 29-Oct-2015 04:12

There is an installation guide in the Documents section of the OpenEdge Classroom - community.progress.com/.../2567

It explains about some of the pre-requisites, which includes having the Microsoft .Net Framework installed.  It also calls out the files to check if you think there has been an error.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 29-Oct-2015 04:32

The installer runs silently, which causes you to think it has crashed without any error message, while in reality it it still running and downloading data from Progress' servers.

It installs using some defaults in the oedk_response.ini file. Have a look at it to change e.g. destination path (now hardcoded c:\Progress\OpenEdge).

While it is good that Progress provides some sane defaults, it should be visible to the user that something is happening (while now everyone including me thinks the installer has crashed). I admit it is mentioned in the installation guide, but really who rtfm...

Posted by James Palmer on 29-Oct-2015 04:36

Thanks for that Lieven. Glad I read this before just going ahead and installing on a machine that already has Progress installed! :)

Posted by Andriy Mishin on 29-Oct-2015 04:50

Oh, I was very surprised by this!

I've installed a lot of OpenEdge on different platforms, but I did not expect  this trick from OEDK. Really, who reads manuals...It should be at least in the beginning to warn how, where and in what mode will run the installation.

This is not a good idea, I do not like it

Posted by kronosoft on 29-Oct-2015 05:55

I am not satistied. If i have already an OpenEdge installation, what will happen to my ubroker.properties, conmgr.properties, agent.properties files if this silence installation installs itself without asking me any path etc. I could not believe this silence installation yet. But i am working on it :)

Posted by James Palmer on 29-Oct-2015 05:59

Always read the manual ;)

But you can change the installation directory simply enough by editing the oedk_response.ini file. Works a treat.

Posted by kronosoft on 29-Oct-2015 06:07

After i change the paths from the file "oedk_response.ini" it starts installation :) At least if you have an existing installation it does not install :D this is a good news :)

Posted by kronosoft on 29-Oct-2015 06:45

The installation is just finished. it seems fine :D

Posted by joey eisma on 29-Oct-2015 10:32

thank you. that silent install is quite annoying. but it's running now. that's what matters. :-)

Posted by Kevin Aspindle on 29-Oct-2015 10:45

Any ideas regarding the installation and set up of OEDK are welcomed in our Ideas group - community.progress.com/.../openedge

And then community members can vote on them and see if we can get them into the product going forward.

Posted by Paul Mowat on 30-Oct-2015 04:06

I have to agree about the silent install. Much prefer to have the ability to setup paths etc how I want. Also I find it better when the installer tells you that your missing something rather than it being in a log file somewhere.

Posted by James Palmer on 27-Nov-2015 15:55

Is there a particular reason why it's for 64bit OS only? I'd quite like to run it on my own personal machine for which I only have a 32bit license for Windows. Thus I can't. Seems a shame.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 30-Nov-2015 05:36

I've asked Kevin the same question.

See his answer here: community.progress.com/.../2730.a-welcome-to-the-openedge-classroom

Posted by James Palmer on 30-Nov-2015 05:40

Thanks Lieven. Makes sense I guess.

This thread is closed