OpenEdge REST Adapter

Posted by Lieven Cardoen on 16-Jan-2015 05:25

So today I wanted to check out the OpenEdge REST Adapter. I should have known that frustration would be my part. I just should have know it.

After an initial google search on 'OpenEdge REST Adapter pdf' didn't give me one of the famous OpenEdge tutorial pdf's, I installed the OE13 Docs. Looked for the start.pdf and from there on I ended up opening asadm.pdf (OpenEdge Application Server Administration). The file is called asadm.pdf because they always want you to open start.pdf to find something.

Ok, opened up asadm.pdf, and went to the REST Administration section. Maybe I'm not at the correct place to find out things about the OpenEdge REST Adapter, but it's the closest thing I found so far.

There's a oerm.war (why again the abbreviation...?) that needs to be deployed in a Tomcat Web Server. Ok, let's do that. Stopping Tomcat, copying the war, starting Tomcat. the oerm.war gets deployed by Tomcat in a oerm directory and we are good to goooooo!!!!!!

Going to http://localhost:8070/oerm/index.html as instructed in the pdf and seeing a white blank page. 

Pdf says:

You can query the REST Management Agent by browsing to the URL
http://localhost:8980/oerm/index.html to check whether the REST
Management Agent has been correctly installed and configured. For instance, if you
are using the Tomcat server and you are using the default ports, you can browse the
URL http://localhost:8980/oerm/index.html.

So shouldn't I see something isntead of a blank page? Maybe it's responsive...

Opening the index.html just makes we wanna cry. Inside the index.html is the following html code:

<html>
<body>
</body>
</html>

Is this the REST Management Agent? Candid camera? 

Seriously. Please transport me to the future. Maybe I'm just plain stupid, maybe I have the wrong pdf, maybe this oerm.war from OE11.3.2 isn't installed properly, maybe this is not the OpenEdge REST Adapter, maybe the pdf is out of date, ... It's always something, it just can never once go smoothly... 

All Replies

Posted by bronco on 16-Jan-2015 05:38

I think you're better of reading "Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge online help", chapter "Introducing OpenEdge REST" from the same documentation set.

Posted by Lieven Cardoen on 16-Jan-2015 05:45

So basically I need to be clairvoyant.

Posted by Lieven Cardoen on 16-Jan-2015 05:49

In the start.pdf, I can't find a single reference to rest. So in that documentation set, I can't find Introducing OpenEdge REST.

Posted by bronco on 16-Jan-2015 05:50

No you don't, that's why we have this forum.

Posted by Lieven Cardoen on 16-Jan-2015 05:50

Ahhhhh,

documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Will try this one.

Posted by Lieven Cardoen on 16-Jan-2015 05:51

I wouldn't call it a forum. I'd call it a table for 14 persons.

Posted by Srinivas Munigala on 16-Jan-2015 05:51

You can browse the following URL to find the status of oerm:

http://localhost:8980/oerm/status

Posted by Lieven Cardoen on 16-Jan-2015 05:52

Since we are at the forum, what's wrong with the oerm.war file?

Posted by Lieven Cardoen on 16-Jan-2015 05:53

Never mind, I'll give documentation.progress.com/.../index.html a try.

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 16-Jan-2015 05:56

Being clairvoyant would certainly be a help.   In the meantime perhaps I can be of help:

Refer to the OpenEdge Development: Web Services book ( dvwsv.pdf ).   That has an entire section of REST web services.

The online help in the developer's studio is a good reference to how to map HTTP request/response to ABL RPC calls.

The AppServer administration guide will provide you with remote deployment and configuration information, as you have seen.

The 'oerm.war' is NOT REST.   It is a web application that provides remote administration services to for deployment and configuration.  And it is optional if you want to manually do the configuration of logging and AppServer connections yourself with an editor.

Hope this helps,

Mike J.

[collapse]
From: Lieven Cardoen <bounce-lievencardoen@community.progress.com>
Reply-To: "TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com" <TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com>
Date: Friday, January 16, 2015 at 6:45 AM
To: "TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com" <TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com>
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] OpenEdge REST Adapter

Reply by Lieven Cardoen

So basically I need to be clairvoyant.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by bronco on 16-Jan-2015 05:58

nothing is wrong with oerm.war, it's just a (web-) application that allow tools like restman and OpenEdge explorer to interact for administration purposes. The URL you mentioned just confirm that oerm.war is installed. It's all in the docs, you just need to read a little further. The doc URL you posted is the same as I pointed you to in start.pdf, the book is called "Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge help" (without the word online).

Posted by egarcia on 16-Jan-2015 06:14

Hello,

The following post has a video and a sample program attached showing how you can build a REST Service using Progress Developer Studio:

community.progress.com/.../45513.aspx

I hope this helps.

Posted by Lieven Cardoen on 16-Jan-2015 07:20

I have now opened OpenEdge Development Web Services and Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge Online Help (Introducing OpenEdge REST). The last one seems to be the one I'll stick with.

If I try to create a REST Project like the pdf says, it asks me for an AppServer (which I have), but also for a Web Server (which I haven't). So the tutorial already dead ends.

Going to my Manangement Console for the App Server, I see I can add an OE Web Service. Where can I find documentation about this? I need to enter a name and an URL... What should this URL look like? Or should it point to a Tomcat url?  Ah, apparently there's a OE Web Server and a Web Server... What's the difference and which one do I need for my Eclipse REST project?

Is there really not a tutorial available from progress how to use REST? A tutorial for someone who needs to start from scratch? Meaning creating an AppServer, creating a OE Web Server, creating a REST project in eclipse, ... I know most of you people probably have been using OE for 120 years, but I haven't.

Posted by Lieven Cardoen on 16-Jan-2015 07:25

OE Web Server it is.

Created the REST Project. Hallelujah. Now getting this error:

Publish directory G:\GitRepositories\OpenClientRD\OpenEdgeApplicationServer is a member of the workspace and cannot be used.

Posted by bronco on 16-Jan-2015 07:42

your r-code and/or source code is published to the AppServer. The default publish directory is the working directory of the AppServer. Basically you have to either adjust your working to a directory outside (ie not a child directory) of your workspace or explicitly specify the publish directory in the AppServer configuration.

Posted by Lieven Cardoen on 16-Jan-2015 07:52

I gave up. It's like buying an apple and getting 650 pages documentation on how to eat it.

Posted by egarcia on 16-Jan-2015 07:56

Hello,

Did you get to watch the video that I mentioned in a previous post?

community.progress.com/.../45513.aspx

I believe that it would give you some of the concepts that you need to work with a REST Service from Progress Developer Studio.

Thanks.

Posted by WinningJr on 16-Jan-2015 12:03

I summarized the information I found in 18 different places into one word doc for my team on how to create a REST service and deploy it to our separate Apache server, including the parts about killing TomCat when it messes up (because I just can’t stand watching a video).    Once I got it all together, creating new REST services takes minutes and is VERY easy.   The doc is specific to my environment, but I can email it or figure out someplace to post it if you want to try again.       

-Gerry

[collapse]
From: Lieven Cardoen [mailto:bounce-lievencardoen@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 8:53 AM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com

Reply by Lieven Cardoen

I gave up. It's like buying an apple and getting 650 pages documentation on how to eat it.

[/collapse]

Posted by Rom Elwell on 16-Jan-2015 12:06

Gerry, I'd love to see the doc you have compiled.  I will send you an IM with contact info.  Thanks!

Posted by Mike Fechner on 16-Jan-2015 12:07

Hi Gerry, you could attach it to a post on this thread.

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: WinningJr
Gesendet: ‎16.‎01.‎2015 19:03
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] OpenEdge REST Adapter

Reply by WinningJr
I summarized the information I found in 18 different places into one word doc for my team on how to create a REST service and deploy it to our separate Apache server, including the parts about killing TomCat when it messes up (because I just can’t stand watching a video).    Once I got it all together, creating new REST services takes minutes and is VERY easy.   The doc is specific to my environment, but I can email it or figure out someplace to post it if you want to try again.       

-Gerry

[collapse]

Reply by Lieven Cardoen

[/collapse]

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 17-Jan-2015 21:45

I would like to have access to the word file you kindly offered.  As most of the time I feel exactly like Mr. Lieven, as sometimes when i'm really new to some concept, can´t figure it out at first, and is very frustating not finding page 1 of the solution (to expres it somehow).   Later when trying and error, and getting little steps every now and then,to figure it out, it becomes crystal clear, just like the people here that can hadle such concept (or aspect or technology, OO for example).

At that moment I can clearly see the difference of being in posession of such knowledge, and the impossibility to comprehend what is the need of the person that is trying that concept for first time.  It really makes me sad when i'm in such situations.

Posted by WinningJr on 19-Jan-2015 12:55

You need to list your email in communities before I can email it J

[collapse]
From: OctavioOlguin [mailto:bounce-OctavioOlguin@community.progress.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2015 10:46 PM

Reply by OctavioOlguin

I would like to have access to the word file you kindly offered.  As most of the time I feel exactly like Mr. Lieven, as sometimes when i'm really new to some concept, can´t figure it out at first, and is very frustating not finding page 1 of the solution (to expres it somehow).   Later when trying and error, and getting little steps every now and then,to figure it out, it becomes crystal clear, just like the people here that can hadle such concept (or aspect or technology, OO for example).

At that moment I can clearly see the difference of being in posession of such knowledge, and the impossibility to comprehend what is the need of the person that is trying that concept for first time.  It really makes me sad when i'm in such situations.

[/collapse]

Posted by WinningJr on 19-Jan-2015 12:55

I have to clean it up first.  L

[collapse]
From: Mike Fechner [mailto:bounce-mikefechner@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 1:08 PM
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] AW: OpenEdge REST Adapter

Reply by Mike Fechner
Hi Gerry, you could attach it to a post on this thread.

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: WinningJr
Gesendet: ‎16.‎01.‎2015 19:03
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] OpenEdge REST Adapter
Reply by WinningJr

-Gerry

[collapse]

Reply by Lieven Cardoen

[/collapse][/collapse]

This thread is closed