showDialog from an ABL Window/procedure

Posted by Admin on 22-Apr-2011 02:21

Hy,

SESSION crash when I launch a modal form with showDialog method from an ABL procedure.

DEFINE VARIABLE vForm AS CLASS testDialog NO-UNDO.
vForm = NEW testDialog().

WAIT-FOR vForm:showDialog().

I thought it could be caused by OE Service Pack (ID solution P165110).

In the protrace file:

** ABL Stack Trace **

--> USER-INTERFACE-TRIGGER f-main.w (c:\fongecif\exedev\f-main.r) at line 0

** Persistent procedures/Classes **

Do I have to update my Service Pack?

showD

Currently no SP is installed.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 22-Apr-2011 04:45

I thought it could be caused by OE Service Pack (ID solution P165110).

This solution is related to a crash when closing a Form launched from an ABL window. But what you are describing is a crash when starting it.

Do I have to update my Service Pack?

Always a good idea 10.2B04 is the current release and that's almost 1.5 years more recent than 10.2B

I'd investigate a couple of other things:

1.) is the first wait-for statement in your session a .NETish WAIT-FOR, i.e.

WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:Run ()

2.) If you switch from the WAIT-FOR vForm:showDialog() to a simple vForm:Show() does it still crash?

If not than the issue might be related to the WAIT-FOR.

3.) When upgrading to 10.2B04 (or 10.2B02 at least) try the currently unsupported -IOEverywhere 1 startup parameter. That will lift restrictions on where WAIT-FOR (and PROCESS EVENTS) statements are legal in the Progress client. When there is any function or non-void method in the stack trace the WAIT-FOR is illegal without this parameter. The result is a STOP condition and they are sometimes not too gently handled while GUI for .NET Forms are started.

What is f-main.r? Is that a piece of ABL you or a GUI for .NET Form?

Posted by Admin on 22-Apr-2011 07:46

Hy Mike,

I'm sorry, I was wrong when I was saying that it's when I launch the form there is crash. It's when I close my form ;-)

So...

Always a good idea 10.2B04 is the current release and that's almost 1.5 years more recent than 10.2B

I think it's a good idea too. What are new in this release?

1.) is the first wait-for statement in your session a .NETish WAIT-FOR, i.e.

The main window (F-main) has a classic WAIT-FOR. Then into a ON CHOOSE trigger, I launch my .NET form.

2.) If you switch from the WAIT-FOR vForm:showDialog() to a simple vForm:Show() does it still crash?

No. But if I use vForm:Show() and then run an ABL Window, if I don't close this window before then .NET form, Progress crash. That's why, I use showDialog method.

3.) When upgrading to 10.2B04 (or 10.2B02 at least) try the currently unsupported -IOEverywhere 1 startup parameter.

I will try it.

Posted by Admin on 22-Apr-2011 08:20

What are new in this release?

Many fixed related to GUI for .NET You should check out the list of fixes included in the service pack, for me the -IOEverywhere 1 is really very important.

3.) When upgrading to 10.2B04 (or 10.2B02 at least) try the currently unsupported -IOEverywhere 1 startup parameter.

I might have used the wrong term here. I guess it's supported, but undocumented. That's expected to change in OE11.

Posted by Admin on 22-Apr-2011 09:48

And about :

But if I use vForm:Show() and then run an ABL Window, if I don't close this window before then .NET form, Progress crash. That's why, I use showDialog method.

How can I fix it? I would still use the Show() method :/

Posted by Admin on 22-Apr-2011 10:05

I think you need to modify your main window to use a .NET WAIT-FOR instead of an ABL WAIT-FOR.

WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:Run () . /* no parameters */

The ON CLOSE OF THIS-PROCEDURE Trigger then should include the

System.Windows.Forms.Application:Exit () .

That may be the root cause of your issue. Then you should be fine with the ShowDialog again. Mixing .NET and non .NET WAIT-FOR in the Progress client is a critical thing. .NET is designed to only allow a single message loop per thread. Another WAIT-FOR creates a second message loop. That's only o.k. for Dialogs.

Posted by Wouter Dupré on 22-Apr-2011 10:20

Hi,

Thank you for your email. I'm currently out of the office for business. I will return on April 27. During my absence I will have limited access to email. For urgent matters, call our office, leave a message on my voice mail or contact Gary Calcott (gcalcott@progress.com).

Best regards,

Wouter

--

Wouter Dupré

Senior Solutions Consultant

Progress Software NV

A. Stocletlaan 202 B | B-2570 Duffel | Belgium

Office +32 (0) 15 30 77 00 | Mobile +32 (0) 478 50 00 49

Posted by Admin on 06-May-2011 08:08

I think you need to modify your main window to use a .NET WAIT-FOR instead of an ABL WAIT-FOR.

Agree and here is my new code:

The first program is a .NET form.

Two buttons into this form. The one show another .NET form like this:

DEFINE VARIABLE MyCustomerForm AS CustomerForm NO-UNDO.

MyCustomerForm = NEW CustomerForm ().
MyCustomerForm:show().

And the second button launch an ABL Window like this:

RUN c-win.w.

When I open ABL Window then .NET form and I close the first form...my .NET form crash (on a datagridview control...).

Guess it's due to WAIT-FOR in the ABL Form but it's impossible to make without this statement.

Posted by Admin on 06-May-2011 15:07

So in one Program you are running the

WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:Run () .

and in anouther one you have an ABL WAIT-FOR?

That should work (but is not recommended) as long as the first WAIT-FOR is the .NET WAIT-FOR and this one is terminated last.

Could you clarify which WAIT-FOR's you have where and what you need the ABL WAIT-FOR for?

Posted by Admin on 09-May-2011 03:47

The ABL WAIT-FOR is a standard "WAIT-FOR ON CLOSE" (.w program) and the problem occurs when I close this window while I've launched a .net form.

So I have to ensure that the user closes windows in the correct order.

Just a question unrelated: what are you using instead of "shared variables" into your .net classes?

Posted by Admin on 09-May-2011 04:12

The ABL WAIT-FOR is a standard "WAIT-FOR ON CLOSE" (.w program) and the problem occurs when I close this window while I've launched a .net form.

I still don't get the whole picture. Where do you have the .NET WAIT-FOR (WAIT-FOR Application:Run ())?

Just a question unrelated: what are you using instead of "shared variables" into your .net classes?

GLOBAL-SHARED: Static properties of a "Session" class

SHARED: A context object known to a group of object instances.

Posted by Admin on 09-May-2011 09:41

From OpenEdge Architect, I run my main program Main.cls.

This Main program contains 2 buttons.

The one launches GridView.cls like this:

DEFINE VARIABLE MyMainClassInstance AS gridViewTest NO-UNDO.

MyMainClassInstance = NEW gridViewTest().

MyMainClassInstance:show().

GridView.cls is a simple form with a datagridview component bound to a

prodataset. Very simple.

And the second button launches a classic ABL Window, C-Win.w like this:

run c-win.

If I click on the second button (c-win.w) then click on the first

(GridView.cls) then close c-win....my datagridview on GridView.cls crash!

Exception: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: index 0 has no value

At System.Windows.Forms.CurrencyManager.get_item(Int32

index)

At

System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.DataGridViewDataConnection.GetError(Int32

rowIndex)

Note that I have no calculated column or datagridview event, GridView.cls is

really really simple.

Posted by Wouter Dupré on 09-May-2011 09:52

Hi,

Thank you for your email. I'm currently out of the office for business. I will return on May 13. During my absence I will have limited access to email. For urgent matters, call our office, leave a message on my voice mail or contact Gary Calcott (gcalcott@progress.com).

Best regards,

Wouter

--

Wouter Dupré

Senior Solutions Consultant

Progress Software NV

A. Stocletlaan 202 B | B-2570 Duffel | Belgium

Office +32 (0) 15 30 77 00 | Mobile +32 (0) 478 50 00 49

Posted by rbf on 09-May-2011 12:27

Like Mike said, your Main Program should contain the following line:

WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:Run () . /* no parameters */

Do you have that?

Posted by Admin on 10-May-2011 01:51

No. I thought it was only to launch .NET Applications from ABL and in my case I run directly from Architect.

So, when do I have to use this Wait-for?

Posted by Admin on 10-May-2011 02:12

No. I thought it was only to launch .NET Applications from ABL and in my case I run directly from Architect.

As I tried to explain before: It enables the client for proper event handling on the ABL and .NET side of things. The first WAIT-FOR in the application must be

WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:Run () . /* no .net main menu */

or

WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:Run (oForm) . /* .net main menu in oForm reference */

See http://blog.consultingwerk.de/consultingwerkblog/2010/09/openedge-gui-for-net-adoption-and-migration-strategies-part-2-parallel-use/

Posted by Admin on 10-May-2011 03:17

Deep breath...

I've read Mike's article but concretely I still don't know, with my example, how to fix this crash.

Posted by Admin on 10-May-2011 03:27

I've read Mike's article but concretely I still don't know, with my example, how to fix this crash.

Get rid of the WAIT-FOR CLOSE OF THIS-PROCEDURE or WAIT-FOR CLOSE OF {&WINDOW-NAME} in your main ABL window.

Posted by Admin on 10-May-2011 08:55

Get rid of the WAIT-FOR CLOSE OF THIS-PROCEDURE or WAIT-FOR CLOSE OF {&WINDOW-NAME} in your main ABL window.

It's done.

I give you a tiny archive with my sources files.

You will see inside:

Menu.w : my main ABL Window.

gridViewTest.cls : sample Grid View Form.

c-win.w : classic ABL Window.

I''m using Sports database.

My real problem is this one in attached files ( processus.jpg).

I've understood that on step 3, the bindingsource handle is no more valid! Progress bug?

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/MainOE.rar.zip:550:0]

Hope to find any solutions...

Posted by Peter Judge on 10-May-2011 09:06

supportg2 wrote:

It's done.

Hope to find any solutions...

There's a WAIT-FOR in c-win.w, and that WAIT-FOR is being executed because you're running c-win.w NON-persistently (in the trigger it just says "RUN c-win."

Change that to RUN c-win PERSISTENT and things will work as you'd expect.

You should always run GUIs persistently (unless they're dialogs).

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 10-May-2011 09:28

Yes it works, it's great!

I confess that I never use PERSISTENT in my application and what will be the consequence on it? No stack oversize? Consequence on transactions?

I have to make sure that it's for my customers safe.

Thank you very much guys.

Posted by rbf on 10-May-2011 12:59

Well PERSISTENT is what you should always use for Windows.

NON-PERSISTENT should be used for dialogs only.

If you start windows non-persistently like you did until today you can get strange side effects, one of which you have noticed here.

Starting a window non-persistently makes it more or less modal like a dialog while windows must be non-modal.

One world, one wait-for to handle all your events (except for modal dialogs).

Therefore your application will become more stable and safer for your customers if you start your windows persistently.

-peter

This thread is closed