Demo of OpenEdge 12.1 with user supplied JDK

Posted by Naveen Arora on 09-Oct-2019 10:45

Hello

With OpenEdge 12.1, users will be required to have a supported version of the JDK pre-installed before starting the OpenEdge installation else the installer will fail.  We have captured the Installer changes in a short demo that will help the end-user have a quick walk through of installing OpenEdge 12.1 with user supplied JDK.

For more information on supported JDK versions of both Oracle and AdoptOpenJDK, please refer the product availability guide link

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/21/OpenEdge-12.1-Installer-Demo.mp4:320:240]

Regards

|Naveen

All Replies

Posted by Tushar Dhaka on 09-Oct-2019 11:35

With user-defined JDK, at some point of time a you may want to upgrade the JDK being used by your OE application. Following demo is a walk-through of the manual steps that a user need to perform to ensure that JDK is properly upgraded.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/21/Changing-JDK-demo.mp4:549:412]

Let us know if these demos are helpful. We can record and post similar demos for upgrading JDK on Linux upon request.

Regards,

Tushar

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 09-Oct-2019 11:43

What would be more helpful is to distribute the OpenJDK and allow during install to choose a different JDK. I understand from PUG that the mindset was security where users would not update the JDK. Removing the distributing of JDK will not solve that. The users/isv's who would not update the JDK before will not update it now.

All this will will do is make it more difficult to distribute my app.

Posted by 2087 on 09-Oct-2019 12:05

[mention:011caad85a5545659f1a1aaf22be3887:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] I agree but the decision seems to have been made.

In my experience most end-users have never heard of a JDK, and wouldn't be interested if they had.

As for the video - I would prefer written documentation. With a document I can tick off each part as I get it done. Videos are sequential access - there is no easy to dip into to find the one part you forgot, that is much easier with a document.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 09-Oct-2019 12:17

>> I agree but the decision seems to have been made.

Yep, and will prevent many from moving to 12.1 and above.

>> In my experience most end-users have never heard of a JDK, and wouldn't be interested if they had.

Exactly.

Posted by Tushar Dhaka on 09-Oct-2019 12:26

The recorded demos are actually a walk-through of install document.

This thread is closed