Docker and OpenEdge jumpstart?

Posted by bronco on 22-Apr-2016 08:10

It can be a hassle a first when you start with Docker. In this github repo a sample how to make an image with and OE 11.6 install on it and a testapp based on PASOE.

https://github.com/bfv/docker4oe

Have fun!

All Replies

Posted by bronco on 22-Apr-2016 10:28

Note: the image of 11.6.1 is some 6GB big. This size is because of creating the image "the Docker way", via Dockerfiles only. If you run the container, export and import it, the size reduces to 2GB. Still quite large for a Docker image however and all the history is lost.

Posted by marian.edu on 25-Apr-2016 00:56

That's nice Bronco, a bit disappointed you've striped down the serials from those response.ini files though :(

A few random thoughts...

- using ADD instead of COPY for .tar.gz files saves you the unarchive run command (docker will copy/extract files from 'standard' archives)

- better to group multiple RUNs in one command (&&) to reduce the number of intermediate containers

- `--rm=true` on build will remove intermediate containers (no need to export/import to 'flatten' the image)

- think we don't need to install java anymore, PSC ships one version bundled (got everything working without it)

- my preference is to have different components in separate containers (database, application server, web server, etc)... easier to maintain, much lighter images/containers, one container only runs one task as a daemon

- no interactive terminal for daemon containers followed by subsequent exec statements (docker logs gives output from running process, exec can still be used with bash if need to get into that container)

We still need to find out more about licensing in that environment, maybe some day there will be 'OE' images available on modulus platform :)

Posted by bronco on 16-May-2016 02:42

Hi Marian! I completely overlooked you response, so apologies for the late reply. Thanks for the valuable input!

It would be nice if PSC came up with the images on dockerhub, we can -v * PROCFG our licenses into it :-)

Speaking of dockerhub, if I remember correctly whoogloo had some OE images up there but I guess they have been kindly requested to remove them?!

Posted by bronco on 16-May-2016 02:45

BTW, I agree on the separate containers although I'm not sure if giving up shared memory access to the db is worth it. I am still not sure what the best practice on the dynamic port range is...

Posted by marian.edu on 16-May-2016 03:26

Well, since I'm not aware of any 'community' edition that can be installed on linux box and to request an evaluation you have to go through ESD to download the binaries they might not like to have a OE image on docker hub even if no license files are 'leaking' :)

As far as I can see they don't really know yet what do do about docker, having OE images on modulus would be interesting but right  now those looks like completely different worlds, maybe at some point this will change... proven modulus stick around for long enough ;)

Exposing port ranges is possible in docker, at least in newest releases... -p 1234-1236:1234-1236.

For demo/small poc's we also put the database server on the same container as appsrv but that simply can't scale so why bother using docker like that in a production environment?

Posted by jmls on 17-May-2016 14:11

I'm afraid that you must be getting old, Bronco ;) We have never made an OE image publicly available on dockerhub .. although I agree it would be great for Progress to get on and make one ...

Posted by bronco on 18-May-2016 00:26

Thanks for confirming my mid-life crisis Julian :-) I guess when going through your presentation I made the wrong assumption that it was public.

The interesting question is if PSC would object to anyone having a public OE 11.6 image on docker (obviously w/o the progress.cfg in it). Or at least some statement on OpenEdge & Docker.

Posted by Brian Bowman on 18-May-2016 09:50

Progress is currently researching how we would best go about implementing a Docker container with OpenEdge for you.  We could treat Docker as just another virtualization solution but this does not take advantage of Docker's strengths.  One could easily argue that this is a total misuse of Docker.

We are also determining what the licensing and management issues are for our customers.

Currently we would not allow a Docker container with OpenEdge pre-installed in it to be publicly available.  This is being researched as well.

Please continue to post questions and comments regarding Docker here.  

We would like to hear what your use cases are and how you would envision using Docker to meet your needs.

There are sessions on Docker at the PUG Challenge/Exchange Americas in June. (pugchallenge.org).

Thanks!

Brian

Posted by gus on 18-May-2016 12:56

> On May 18, 2016, at 1:27 AM, bronco wrote:

>

> The interesting question is if PSC would object to anyone having a public OE 11.6 image on docker (obviously w/o the progress.cfg in it). Or at least some statement on OpenEdge & Docker.

That would be a clear violation of the license agreement as well as copyright law.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 18-May-2016 13:22

but can you think of an easier distribution model? Download the docker image, apply the .cfg, and run.

Posted by gus on 18-May-2016 16:42

indeed, it would be extremely convenient.

and we could make it do-able.

This thread is closed