kendo & jsdo - Forum - Mobile - Progress Community

kendo & jsdo

Forum

kendo & jsdo

This question is answered

Hi,

I looked at one of the components of kendo, the grid, and like the looks and clear, un-verbose configuration in the .html. See f.e. http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/grid/editing-inline . I heard psc is working on integration of kendo with the jsdo. That's great. My question is

1. Am I bound to the progress appserver when I use the jsdo?

2. Will psc make it easy to swich from jsdo to f.e. oData (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh237663.aspx) and  vice versa, so keep the config necessary in the .html as independent as possible from the datasourcetype? I would prefer to be able to config the datasourcetype in one place only.  At the moment kendo supports odata I suppose: http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/treeview/odata-binding.

Kind regards,

Stefan Houtzager

Houtzager ICT consultancy & development

www.linkedin.com/in/stefanhoutzager

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • WRT

>> 1. Am I bound to the progress appserver when I use the jsdo?

Ans: the JSDO is a client side library that works with any cloud Data Service that provides a Catalog and supplies data as specified by the Catalog.   The JSDO does not 'know' or 'insist' that an OpenEdge AppServer provide the data or the Catalog.   Progress already has cloud Data Services implemented with Rollbase as the Data Service, and I have seen node.js implementations (prototypes) and heard of Java implementations. 

The JSDO is not tied to an OpenEdge AppServer.

>> 2. Will psc make it easy to switch [Kendo UI] from jsdo to f.e. oData

As you did note, Progress supplies an OData databinding for the Kendo UI grid (and all data visualization components) already.   Adding a JSDO data source will not remove the OData one.  

• Thanks Bill, the answer on question one satisfies me but number two is not precise. In the treeview-example you see the datasourcetype defined, f.e.

var OrderDetails = {

type: "odata",

transport: {

read: {  etc etc.

No further reference in the .html to oData (like to the library). That's great, maybe the datasourcetype could even be defined globally, at a higher level, so it can be switched in one place.

My question was "Will psc make it easy to swich from jsdo to f.e. oData (see msdn.microsoft.com/.../hh237663.aspx) and  vice versa, so keep the config necessary in the .html as independent as possible from the datasourcetype? I would prefer to be able to config the datasourcetype in one place only.  At the moment kendo supports odata I suppose: demos.telerik.com/.../odata-binding."

url: function(options) {

• Sorry, if I misunderstood your question.  You were asking if 'psc will make it easy to switch from jsdo to OData" [in Kendo datasources].    

From an OpenEdge and Rollbase perspective, adding a databinding that is similar to other databinding types (e.g. everlive, odata) is the direction we are pursuing.   Each databinding type has different transport parameteres though, so you do need to specify those uniquely for each type of databinding.    But I would expect that switching from everlive to OData would be similar to switching from JSDO to everlive, for example.

The specific URLs you provided did not seem to get into the 'transparent conversion' -- the Microsoft link is mostly a definition of what OData is.  It does define what is needed for an OData client --- and my understanding is that Kendo UI is evolving their OData client as the versions of OData extend, but it is a different client than f.e. Everlive, or JSON, (or JSDO).

• Thanks, it's clear now.

• Hi Bill,

using the Kendo.UI grid with the jsdo as a simple read only data source is not that hard – even for JavaScript refusers like myself.

Does someone in Progress (or Telerik) already have a sample for the Kendo.UI grid with more advanced features like:

-          Batching/Server Paging/Virtualization of data

-          Updating

that’s sharable? Or is there a plan when such a sample will be made available.

Regards,
    Mike

Architect of the SmartComponent Library and WinKit

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• Hi Mike,

We are working on a custom Kendo UI datasource for the  JSDO. We are still working out the details but could share the specification with you once it is completed.

Thanks

-Shelley

• Yes, please!

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: schase
    Gesendet: ‎08.‎01.‎2015 00:10
    An: TU.Mobile@community.progress.com
    Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - Mobile] kendo & jsdo

Reply by schase

Hi Mike,

We are working on a custom Kendo UI datasource for the  JSDO. We are still working out the details but could share the specification with you once it is completed.

Thanks

-Shelley

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• Shelley,

If you could share with me as well I would appreciate it!!

Thanks.

• Hi Roger,

Absolutely. We can probably post it with the right caveats. I will talk with Product Management.

-Shelley

• Thank You.

• Yesterday, I saw a demo of Roland De Pijper @ Progress Kick-Off for the Benelux and he presented a rather complete example with paging, batching, CRUD ...  so it's defnitively working :)

• Hi,

hope that can be shared soon!

Cheers,
    Mike
    Von: gdb390 [mailto:bounce-gdb390@community.progress.com]
    Gesendet: Freitag, 16. Januar 2015 10:36
    An: TU.Mobile@community.progress.com
    Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - Mobile] kendo & jsdo

Reply by gdb390

Yesterday, I saw a demo of Roland De Pijper @ Progress Kick-Off for the Benelux and he presented a rather complete example with paging, batching, CRUD ...  so it's defnitively working :)

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• As far as I saw he only presented jsdo code for the read - of the whole table. That code was in the .html. Nice for a demo maybe, but the jsdo code should be generic and belongs in the js framework (where psc is working on I understood). He did one add-action but did you notice the customernumber did not get updated after the save? ;-)

So for now you can reinvent the wheel a bit for yourself, that's very educative. :-)

--

Kind regards,

Stefan Houtzager

Houtzager ICT consultancy & development

www.linkedin.com/in/stefanhoutzager

• I am not sure what he presented, but I know he had source code for a complete Kendo Datasource implementation (at least a prototype) that did support Edit/Delete/New as well as Read (all CRUD).

• WRT

>>  That code was in the .html. Nice for a demo maybe,

Comment.  Yes, it was intended to be nice for the demo.  We had had a discussion about what code to show in the limited time, and he wanted to show something simple and digestible --- what he showed is not how it would work as a product, but what he showed is something anyone should be able to follow and reproduce quickly.