OpenEdge.Mobile.PushNotificationService - Forum - Mobile - Progress Community

OpenEdge.Mobile.PushNotificationService

Forum

OpenEdge.Mobile.PushNotificationService

• It appears that Amazon was doing some maintenance..response from PTS below. Should we be able to rely on the PNS being available for our customers?

"The push notification server is hosted on Amazon Web Services. This morning Amazon took down for maintenance several of the servers hosting our mobile services. This may have caused the issue you and I saw, but if it did we do not know the exact mechanism. Progress DevOps restarted the servers, and that cleared up the problem."

• Hi Roger,

We will check into the server status and whether we knew about the downtime.

Thanks
    -Shelley

From: rblanchard [mailto:bounce-rblanchard@community.progress.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:25 PM
    To: TU.Mobile@community.progress.com
    Subject: RE: [Technical Users - Mobile] OpenEdge.Mobile.PushNotificationService

Reply by rblanchard

It appears that Amazon was doing some maintenance..response from PTS below. Should we be able to rely on the PNS being available for our customers?

"The push notification server is hosted on Amazon Web Services. This morning Amazon took down for maintenance several of the servers hosting our mobile services. This may have caused the issue you and I saw, but if it did we do not know the exact mechanism. Progress DevOps restarted the servers, and that cleared up the problem."

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

• Amazon did notify people in advance & there was plenty of talk about it on various tech sites in advance (I don't have any EC2 or Pacific instances & I knew about it).

Here's Amazon's follow-up blog post which provides advice on how to avoid problems if/when reboots occur.

aws.amazon.com/.../ec2-maintenance-update-2

• While Amazon did give us notice about the reboot, we were not given options on how and when the reboot will occur. Unfortunately, we had a design limitation that caused a downtime due to this uncontrolled reboot. We are modifying our deployment architecture to address the limitation right now to avoid future impact to the platform availability due to uncontrolled mass reboot of our systems.