Profiler - guide

Posted by goo on 27-Nov-2018 20:49

Could anyone give me an example how to implement profiler to an application? I would like to be alle from within an application, to start the profiler, an to se the result when turning off the profiler. I have downloader it but I am not sure how to implement it.

All Replies

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 27-Nov-2018 21:05

I’ve attached the bootstrap programs I always call whenever I want to start/stop the profiler.  The startProfiler.p takes a character input-output parameter where you pass in a seed value for the output file name which is used to prefix a file name that will contain a timestamp and end with .log.

e.g.
DEFINE VARIABLE cProfileName AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.

cProfileName = “seedValue”.
RUN startProfiler ( INPUT-OUTPUT cProfileName ).

The value returned is the complete filename with path (using SESSION:TEMP-DIRECTORY).

Ken McIntosh
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Progress Software Corp

PH: +1 781 280 3059

Posted by goo on 27-Nov-2018 21:30

Thanks Kenneth, I also found a PUG PDF from Peter and Paul that described some of it. I will check it out.

Posted by ctoman on 28-Nov-2018 12:04

Can you share the PUG PDF PLEASE!

Posted by Peter Judge on 28-Nov-2018 14:14

I thought they’d be posted on the PUG Challenge site but it looks like the presenters (cough) may have forgotten to send them.

The shorter version is attached – the first section is on profiler.  The 2 things worth highlighting are  (1) the profiler can produce output on any clien (appservers, gui clients, batch), and (2) I’d suggest adding instrumentation (enabling functionality) to your production code so that you can toggle profiling on and off without having to redeploy.

Once you have the profiler output files you can read them in PDSOE or write your own.

Posted by goo on 28-Nov-2018 18:08

https://www.pugchallenge.eu/docs/default-source/presentations-2017/progress---abl_code_performance_redux.pdf?sfvrsn=917659e_2

Sendt fra min iPad

28. nov. 2018 kl. 13:05 skrev ctoman <bounce-ctoman@community.progress.com>:

Update from Progress Community
ctoman

Can you share the PUG PDF PLEASE!

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by goo on 28-Nov-2018 18:16

Thanks, I remember seeing a version of viewprofile.w or something like that with information regarding timing etc. How can that be implemented in a running environment? Any example? 

Sendt fra min iPad

28. nov. 2018 kl. 15:16 skrev Peter Judge <bounce-pjudge@community.progress.com>:

Update from Progress Community
Peter Judge

I thought they’d be posted on the PUG Challenge site but it looks like the presenters (cough) may have forgotten to send them.

The shorter version is attached – the first section is on profiler.  The 2 things worth highlighting are  (1) the profiler can produce output on any clien (appservers, gui clients, batch), and (2) I’d suggest adding instrumentation (enabling functionality) to your production code so that you can toggle profiling on and off without having to redeploy.

Once you have the profiler output files you can read them in PDSOE or write your own.

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

<abl_code_performance_redux.pdf>

Posted by Peter Judge on 28-Nov-2018 22:08

The process is the same – you need to dump the profiler data first, then read it using PDSOE or some tool you wrote yourself. In the workshop that those slides are derived from there is example code on how to do that (write your own viewer).

This thread is closed