Transfer all data and structure from one Rollbase online acc

Posted by RichardWalsh on 29-Apr-2014 08:51

Hello

I would like to copy a complete Rollbase applicatio  from it's live hosted account to another hosted account (my development account). Is that possible and if so I would be very grateful to learn how that its done.

Thanks, Richard Walsh

All Replies

Posted by Laurent on 29-Apr-2014 08:59

The best way is to export the application XML (go to Settings / Application / <your application> / More Actions / Generate XML) from the Hosted Cloud and recreate the application in your other account (New App / Import from Progress Rollbase XML)

Posted by Pradeep Kagithalagudem on 29-Apr-2014 09:03

Hi Richard,

We can export the application by navigating

(Top down menu)Setting->Applications-> Click on Application Link -> More Actions -> Generate XML Save this xml.

In your new account
Create Application by selecting option “Import application from Progress Rollbase xml” and source the above xml.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks,
Pradeep

[collapse]
From: RichardWalsh [mailto:bounce-RichardWalsh@community.progress.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:22 PM
To: TU.Rollbase@community.progress.com
Subject: Transfer all data and structure from one Rollbase online account to another

Thread created by RichardWalsh

Hello

I would like to copy a complete Rollbase applicatio  from it's live hosted account to another hosted account (my development account). Is that possible and if so I would be very grateful to learn how that its done.

Thanks, Richard Walsh

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Ruth on 29-Apr-2014 09:04

Hi Richard,

See documentation.progress.com/.../index.html for information on how to generate your application in an XML format that can be installed in a different tenant. To transfer the data, I believe that you will need to export it from the source and import it into the target. You can export data from specific objects or from views and reports, see documentation.progress.com/.../index.html. See documentation.progress.com/.../index.html for information on importing.

Posted by kiran kumar Angara on 29-Apr-2014 09:07

Hi Richard,

You can make use of ‘Generate XML’ option in ‘More Actions’ drop down in ‘Application Settings’ page.
We can attach Records, Roles and Hosted files etc., for the application which you want to transfer from one environment to another environment.

Hope this helps J

Thanks & Regards,
Kiran Avs.

[collapse]
Subject: Transfer all data and structure from one Rollbase online account to another

Hello

Thanks, Richard Walsh

[/collapse]

Posted by RichardWalsh on 29-Apr-2014 11:43

Hi Ruth

Thanks for your reply.
I have been generating the XML from the source and importing it into another tenant as per your e-mail.

That's OK for the database structure but doesn't bring the data over.
I have also tried exporting the data (as XLS) and importing into the other tenant (also as per your e-mail).
This successfully imported the data but the relationships between the records in the imported tables/objects did not seem to be in place....maybe I missed something.

I think what I am trying to achieve may not be possible at present.
Thanks again
Richard

[collapse]
To: "TU Rollbase" <TU.Rollbase@community.progress.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 29 April, 2014 3:04:41 PM
Subject: RE: Transfer all data and structure from one Rollbase online account to another

Reply by ruth

Hi Richard,

See documentation.progress.com/.../index.html for information on how to generate your application in an XML format that can be installed in a different tenant. To transfer the data, I believe that you will need to export it from the source and import it into the target. You can export data from specific objects or from views and reports, see documentation.progress.com/.../index.html. See documentation.progress.com/.../index.html for information on importing.

[/collapse]

Posted by RichardWalsh on 29-Apr-2014 11:47

Hello Kiran
Thanks for your reply.
I have been generating the XML from the source and importing it into another tenant as per your e-mail.

That's OK for the database structure but doesn't bring the data over. Attaching Records, Roles and Hosted files is certainly useful but I think would only work for very limited amounts of data e.g. a starting set of parameter records.

I have tried exporting data from tables/objects (as XLS) and importing into the other tenant 
This successfully imported the data but the relationships between the records in the imported tables/objects did not seem to be in place....maybe I missed something.

Thanks again
Richard

[collapse]
Sent: Tuesday, 29 April, 2014 3:07:42 PM
Subject: RE: Transfer all data and structure from one Rollbase online account to another

Reply by kangara
Hi Richard,

You can make use of ‘Generate XML’ option in ‘More Actions’ drop down in ‘Application Settings’ page.
We can attach Records, Roles and Hosted files etc., for the application which you want to transfer from one environment to another environment.

Hope this helps J

Thanks & Regards,
Kiran Avs.

[collapse]

Hello

Thanks, Richard Walsh

[/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by RichardWalsh on 29-Apr-2014 11:49

Hello Pradeep

Thanks for your reply.

I have also tried exporting the data (as XLS) and importing into the other tenant (also as per your e-mail).

Thanks again
Richard

[collapse]
From: "Pradeep Kagithalagudem" <bounce-pkagitha@community.progress.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 29 April, 2014 3:03:50 PM

Reply by Pradeep Kagithalagudem
Hi Richard,

We can export the application by navigating

(Top down menu)Setting->Applications-> Click on Application Link -> More Actions -> Generate XML Save this xml.

In your new account
Create Application by selecting option “Import application from Progress Rollbase xml” and source the above xml.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks,
Pradeep

[collapse]

Hello

Thanks, Richard Walsh

[/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by RichardWalsh on 29-Apr-2014 11:52

Hello Laurent

Thanks for your reply.

I have also tried exporting the data (as XLS) and importing into the other tenant.

Thanks again
Richard

[collapse]
Sent: Tuesday, 29 April, 2014 2:59:43 PM

Reply by Laurent

The best way is to export the application XML (go to Settings / Application / <your application> / More Actions / Generate XML) from the Hosted Cloud and recreate the application in your other account (New App / Import from Progress Rollbase XML)

[/collapse]

Posted by Santosh Patel on 29-Apr-2014 12:29

Richard,

Rollbase uses unique IDs that are unique across records, object definition, field definitions and many such entities. Backing up data from one tenant (including these unique IDs) and restoring to another tenant would involve all entities to have new unique IDs. The IDs are unique across a Rollbase instance.

This is why our backup/restore functionality for Private Cloud recommends that you start with a fresh Database so that no IDs conflict.

As of today the viable option you are looking for is Seed records. Check out documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Basically you attach certain records as seed for any application. When you export application the seed records are part of the application XML and are available when the application is installed on another tenant.

Also, relationships do get exported as part of the application XML. Please verify again and revert on this.

Do get back with questions if any?

Regards,

Santosh

Posted by RichardWalsh on 30-Apr-2014 08:37

Hello Santosh

Thanks for your reply.

Relationships, as you say, get exported as part of the Application XML. (and seed records where required)

This is fine when you begin a new instance of an application in a different tenant (in this case my development account), As you build new records that 'belong' to each other the appropriate relationships will be created by Rollbase.
However it does not seem to be possible to export the data , say as spreadsheets, and then import them together with the relationships they had in the original Rollbase database.

If we take an example of a Property Table and a Tenant table. In the original database it might show the property assigned to a tenant and vice-versa. It appears that I cannot export this relationship along with the data and the result in my new Rollbase instance is a series of tables/objects accurately relflecting the data in the original tables but without any relationships with records in any other table.

Am I missing something ?

If not how might someone move from private cloud to public cloud or vice-versa ?

My main concern is that the client should be able to backup for himself/herself everything that would be needed to rebuild a Rollbase database in the event of a catastrophe, whatever the reason.

Thanks
Richard

[collapse]
From: "Santosh Patel" <bounce-sapatel@community.progress.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 29 April, 2014 6:29:53 PM

Reply by Santosh Patel

Richard,

Rollbase uses unique IDs that are unique across records, object definition, field definitions and many such entities. Backing up data from one tenant (including these unique IDs) and restoring to another tenant would involve all entities to have new unique IDs. The IDs are unique across a Rollbase instance.

This is why our backup/restore functionality for Private Cloud recommends that you start with a fresh Database so that no IDs conflict.

As of today the viable option you are looking for is Seed records. Check out documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Basically you attach certain records as seed for any application. When you export application the seed records are part of the application XML and are available when the application is installed on another tenant.

Also, relationships do get exported as part of the application XML. Please verify again and revert on this.

Do get back with questions if any?

Regards,

Santosh

[/collapse]

Posted by Santosh Patel on 30-Apr-2014 11:18

I'd advise you to read up documentation.progress.com/.../index.html for information on Importing data in Rollbase. Especially the last section on Importing Related Objects.

Migration from public cloud to private or vice versa is done by many customers today by means of Backup/Restore functionality. Check out documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Note that there are certain limitations today

- restore on public cloud involves Rollbase Support team involvement

- limit on data backup (10Mb max), to contact support again for higher sized data backup (this is going to change in the near future with enhanced backup)

Posted by RichardWalsh on 30-Apr-2014 11:37

Hi Santosh
That's very useful information .
I'll check it out.
Many thanks
Richard

Sent from my iPhone

On 30 Apr 2014, at 17:19, "Santosh Patel" <bounce-sapatel@community.progress.com> wrote:

Reply by Santosh Patel

I'd advise you to read up documentation.progress.com/.../index.html for information on Importing data in Rollbase. Especially the last section on Importing Related Objects.

Migration from public cloud to private or vice versa is done by many customers today by means of Backup/Restore functionality. Check out documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Note that there are certain limitations today

- restore on public cloud involves Rollbase Support team involvement

- limit on data backup (10Mb max), to contact support again for higher sized data backup (this is going to change in the near future with enhanced backup)

This thread is closed