Issue with prowin.exe vs _progres.exe

Posted by James Palmer on 04-Mar-2015 09:10

We have a load of batch processes that currently run using prowin. They shouldn't because they don't actually need to be GUI so I'm trying to convert them to use _progres.exe. Except it's not finding the rcode to run. The first one works, the second doesn't. What am I missing?

start C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\prowin.exe -basekey "INI" -ini e:\batch\MONTHEND\batch.ini -pf e:\batch\MONTHEND\ICMASliv.pf -p TeamTimeCost.p -b

start C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\_progres.exe -basekey "INI" -ini e:\batch\MONTHEND\batch.ini -pf e:\batch\MONTHEND\ICMASliv.pf -p TeamTimeCost.p -b

"Unable to run Startup Procedure" 

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 04-Mar-2015 09:15

I don't know whether _progress supports INI files.

I know that it doesn't work on non-Windows platforms, but haven't checked whether that's true on Windows with _progress.

The first statement is the reason why I never use INI in anger (usually roll my own XML and/or INI).

-- peter

[collapse]
From: James Palmer [mailto:bounce-jdpjamesp@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 04 March, 2015 10:12
To: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE General] Issue with prowin.exe vs _progres.exe

Thread created by James Palmer

We have a load of batch processes that currently run using prowin. They shouldn't because they don't actually need to be GUI so I'm trying to convert them to use _progres.exe. Except it's not finding the rcode to run. The first one works, the second doesn't. What am I missing?

start C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\prowin.exe -basekey "INI" -ini e:\batch\MONTHEND\batch.ini -pf e:\batch\MONTHEND\ICMASliv.pf -p TeamTimeCost.p -b

start C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\_progres.exe -basekey "INI" -ini e:\batch\MONTHEND\batch.ini -pf e:\batch\MONTHEND\ICMASliv.pf -p TeamTimeCost.p -b

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 04-Mar-2015 09:17

_progres does support INI files. My guess is that PROPATH is set in the Startup section. It needs to be in the WinChar Startup section for _progres.exe.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 04-Mar-2015 09:18

It supports it on windows.

[collapse]
From: Peter Judge [mailto:bounce-pjudge@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 10:17 AM
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE General] Issue with prowin.exe vs _progres.exe

Reply by Peter Judge

I know that it doesn't work on non-Windows platforms, but haven't checked whether that's true on Windows with _progress.

The first statement is the reason why I never use INI in anger (usually roll my own XML and/or INI).

-- peter

[collapse]

[/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by ChUIMonster on 04-Mar-2015 09:18

[collapse]On 3/4/15 10:16 AM, Peter Judge wrote:
Reply by Peter Judge

Yes it does.

The "winchar" section is used.

-- peter

[collapse]

Issue with prowin.exe vs _progres.exe

-- 
Tom Bascom
603 396 4886
tom@greenfieldtech.com
[/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 04-Mar-2015 09:21

The winchar startup works a treat. Thanks.

This thread is closed